Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat? >

How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Notices

How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
1bigjim Scarab22-98 Is Is Wrong. Take It From A Mercruiser Guy The Nut That Holds The Steering Shaft In Place Is The One That Does Not Have A Torque Spec It Sets The Clearance For The Gimball Ring And The Lower Transom Plate Yoke. The Steering Arm Bolt Does Have A Torque Spec And You Cannot Get To It With The Transom Plate In The Boat.
From the Merc Service Manual, the torque spec on the steering lever bolt is 45-55 lb. ft.

After reviewing the service maunal, it clearly would be much easier to do off the transom as others have pointed out. You still would have a difficult time actually getting a torque wrench on it, though.

Last edited by RedDog382; 04-10-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1bigjim Scarab22-98 Is Is Wrong. Take It From A Mercruiser Guy The Nut That Holds The Steering Shaft In Place Is The One That Does Not Have A Torque Spec It Sets The Clearance For The Gimball Ring And The Lower Transom Plate Yoke. The Steering Arm Bolt Does Have A Torque Spec And You Cannot Get To It With The Transom Plate In The Boat.
Bingo
Old 04-11-2007, 04:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RedDog382
From the Merc Service Manual, the torque spec on the steering lever bolt is 45-55 lb. ft.

After reviewing the service maunal, it clearly would be much easier to do off the transom as others have pointed out. You still would have a difficult time actually getting a torque wrench on it, though.
Absolutely!

Jim, as I said there is only 1 way to do this. There's alot of good feedback here for you. You can go in Bam's website & get the exploded view of everything. Print it out & highlight what you'll need. While the assy is off you can clean up the transom & seal the bare wood opening with resin. I went to the extreme of repainting everything from Merc with Imron & re-sprayed the pourous transom on the Bullet. If you want I can send you my Merc factory manual. Just do not get greasy finger prints on it.
Attached Thumbnails How hard is it to replace a gimble ring when the engine is out of the boat?-dscf0026-medium-.jpg  
Old 04-11-2007, 06:16 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, thanks for the great replys.
I have a manual, and like I said it dosen't look that hard. Just my first time doing it.

Off she comes

I will let everyone the outcome.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 AM
NoQuarter

Biker, we are saying the same thing. Yes, the nut that holds the steering shaft in place does not have a torque spec, but rather requires a clearence.

No where in my post did I even mention the steering arm bolt. BTW, in my boat this was easily torqued with the transum in place.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scarab22-1998 reread your own post #12 the part that says steering arm!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fyi the u bolt is stainless steel !
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

The transom assembly should be installed with a new gasket.
If you must use sealer use boatlife, not 5200 !
If using 5200 the thing will be extremely difficult to remove and will end up delaminating the fiberglass upon removal creating more work.
For the guys doing the access plug thing, you will need a special 1"-11 1/2 Tpi tap. Mine cost me $87 You could probably get a Chinese knock off for far less.
You will need to mark out the holes perfectly and hole saw them patiently and straight. I like to use Bronze or Anodized aluminum plugs instead of the plastic ones.
I prefer setting the the lower thrust to .006 feeler gauge. I have found that works well.
Check out JRmarine.com they are the guy's with the gimbal ring repair and access plate.
Also I use an Armstrong 1 1/16 " water pump wrench for the upper swivel nut. Hope this is helpful, BBB
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I read a previous thread where you mentioned the
Armstrong 1 1/16 " water pump wrench.
I have searched and searched, where can one find this?

Ok I did find one. BBB you must be using this wrench from inside the boat if you are putting holes in the side?

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 04-12-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
I read a previous thread where you mentioned the
Armstrong 1 1/16 " water pump wrench.
I have searched and searched, where can one find this?

Ok I did find one. BBB you must be using this wrench from inside the boat if you are putting holes in the side?
I can get them from a machine shop supply Co. nearby.
I wonder after doing so many T/a's how I managed without it ! Another interesting tool is the Ideal flexible hose clamp driver. I gave one to a good friend at a local shop and he was ecstatic ! I get them for $8 Very well spent indeed !