Hp 500 heating problem

Notices

Hp 500 heating problem

Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hp 500 heating problem

Here is my situation, for several seasons frequently when I fire up my starboard engine the temp climbs up to the 180-190 degree range. It comes down to normal one of two ways either I continue to let it run and most of the time it rapidly dorps to approx 130 then the temp moves back to a normal of155 and is usually good to the next restart. If I turn the engine off when the temperature is elevated wait a few seconds restart the engine usually the temperature operates normally. Yes I used the word usually meaning sometimes I have to go thru that cycle more than once.

Some background information. Yes I had a water pump impeller shred and I back flushed the primary hose form the raw water pump to the thermostat housing. I have told marina to replace the thermostat a couple of times. I have rebuilt the water pump several times. Just this morning I went thru the water pump replacing impeller housing and wear plates. I am going to replace the thermostat myself so I know that it is done. My gut feeling is that I have a piece of impeller flopping around somewhere in the engine. So if anyone can help me with any backflushing tricks or has experience I would appreciate the imput.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

You need to backflush through the oil cooler andpower steering cooler too....go ahead and pull the T-stat housing off and look inside..it is not hard to do at all..if the t-stat was replaced it should be nice and shiney still...also, make sure it is a 135* or 140* , not 160*...you might just check your impeller again too, make sure it didn't shredd again..it should have some water-soap mixer on it for start up...also make sure belt is tight and not slipping....if your fuel pump oil is old it is hard to turn so you may need to change the oil..use same oil as outdrive. Those are all my ideas...my HP500 runs right at 150* all the time
Old 04-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

Its sounds like its a part of the impeller blade in a cooler my guess is the oil cooler because it should be the next place you water runs. Normally located on the opposite side of you C-pump. Remove it and visualy check to make sure nothing is inside sometimes they get jammed in there and wont back flush. I would also check your impeller, I had alot of probs with my 500hps and impellers with low water pickups.