Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good notations & testing procedures.. J

Old 04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Emerlad Coast PwrBt club
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default those of us waiting for dana marine exhuast

Full throttle marine, very awesome, this is exactly what ive been waiting for, i was very curious as to what the truth was and the fact and fiction of the dana exhaust. the 48HP sounded to good to be true, but i did order a set, or atleast put my name on the list, but now im not sure if $2400 is worth 21HP.. can someone shed some light on this? dont get me wrong they do look awesome and will shed some light.. are they better than CMI's? also im curious with this exhaust will a prop change be needed?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, thanks for taking the time to do this right. Very professional and straight forward.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Nice work, Bob. Good read. One question, to date have you heard of any problems encountered after removing the turbulators on the stock exhaust?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Nice work, Bob. Good read. One question, to date have you heard of any problems encountered after removing the turbulators on the stock exhaust?
I've not heard of any problems. Obviously Merc puts them there for a reason. Removing them increases the chances for moisture to work it's way back up the exhaust at idle.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Well....that sucks. Its true, aftermarket exhaust isnt worth the thousands of dollars they charge when used on its own. Two mph is great and all, but not for $2400.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rittsbaja25
Full throttle marine, very awesome, this is exactly what ive been waiting for, i was very curious as to what the truth was and the fact and fiction of the dana exhaust. the 48HP sounded to good to be true, but i did order a set, or atleast put my name on the list, but now im not sure if $2400 is worth 21HP.. can someone shed some light on this? dont get me wrong they do look awesome and will shed some light.. are they better than CMI's? also im curious with this exhaust will a prop change be needed?
I wish I had a set of CMI's to test, but I didn't. I personally believe the Dana's are as good as anything on the market, better than most. The lightnings I used are a very nice full tubular true header. I was surprised the Dana's outperformed them. That speaks well for them. Fact is there are no magic products out there. Eveything works together as a package.

Some boats will respond much better than others with the additional HP. Might be that the additional HP will push the hull to a more efficient ride or raise the RPM enough to get it higher in the power curve.

Here's an example: suppose your boat is turning 4700 RPM at WOT now. You add a set of headers and pick up 300 RPM and 4-5 MPH. You think wow, the headers really made a difference. However what really happened is that the headers added enough power to gain maybe 150 RPM which moved the engine up in the power band to where it generated an extra 15 HP so it moved further up the power band gaining even more HP. The headers only accounted for part of that gain. Had you worked the prop to have it peak at 5000 RPM you would have gotten some of that gain. I believe this is one of the reasons some people see more gain than others from adding headers.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Bob:

Very interesting results, especialy the effects of water in the exhaust and the loss of power through the Bravo drive. As for the exhaust results I can say that all ofour dyno testing was done dry because our facility is not able to run a wet test with our quieting system. I sure would like to see you prop shaft test a Mercury HP525 at the prop with the XR drive. Even though peak power seems to occur in these motors at about 13.6 A/F I dont think I would set up a boat to run there over extended periods. I think I would error on the side of cautiion for long term reliability and set the A/F closer to 13.0-13.2. I love the 87 versus 91 Octane comparison. confirms what I've been preaching for a long time, Higher Octane does not make more horsepower. It only needs to be higher to counter knock if it occurs. Keep up the great testing!

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Never Enough
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bobl
Results are in. I’ve finally completed some comprehensive dyno testing of a 496HO and various exhaust systems. It’s rather lengthy so I published it on our web site. Please check it out. I spent all the time and effort for you guys. Go to www.fullthrottlemarine.com and click on high performance projects.

Bob
Great post Bob. Very nicely worded. Great info as well!
Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

What about the intake side of the motor? Any replacement parts or mods that arent real expensive and are direct bolt ons? Of course paired with the exhaust.

Quick Reply: 496 Dyno testing and myth busting!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.