Steering actuator

Notices

Steering actuator

Old 04-29-2007, 12:00 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Steering actuator

Can anyone help me troubleshoot my steering actuator or steering cable? I have play in my steering, if you center the drive and put your hand at 12 o'clock position you can go to about 10 1/2 to 1 1/2 position with no movement, the actuator never moves the tiller arm on the gimbal ring. Also you can barely move the outdrive and the steering wheel will move with it??? Its on a 2003 496ho and Bravo 1x.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

ttt
Old 05-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the tiller arm does not move you have play in the steering wheel or maybe the rack and pinion at the helm. More common is to have play between the tiller arm and the gimbal ring. Some times it helps to tighten the ubolt on the gimbal ring. Should be done every year according to merc. It is a lousy design. Go full hydraulic.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mats
If the tiller arm does not move you have play in the steering wheel or maybe the rack and pinion at the helm. More common is to have play between the tiller arm and the gimbal ring. Some times it helps to tighten the ubolt on the gimbal ring. Should be done every year according to merc. It is a lousy design. Go full hydraulic.
I agree, if the tiller arm doesnt move, then it is forward of there, could also be in the hydraulic assist unit. If ya decide ya wanna change the rack, and cable, let me know, I have one sitting in the garage that may fit that I will let go cheap. I bought it, and ended up going with hydraulic, what length is the Baja???
Old 05-01-2007, 10:17 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Its a 25', I tightened the u-bolt the other day to make sure and it was already tight the tiller arm does not move that was the first thing I checked. I just dont know a good way to troubleshoot the cable or actuator?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

you dont state wether this happens with the engine is runing or is not running. What happens to the steering wheel when you turn the drive from outside the boat ? Do you still have the same amount of play. Look at the drag link (it connects the tiller arm to the end of the steering cable) when you turn the wheel dose the movement corospond to the amount of turning of the wheel. Have someone turn the wheel and check inside the boat at the transom any play there?
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by [email protected]
you dont state wether this happens with the engine is runing or is not running. What happens to the steering wheel when you turn the drive from outside the boat ? Do you still have the same amount of play. Look at the drag link (it connects the tiller arm to the end of the steering cable) when you turn the wheel dose the movement corospond to the amount of turning of the wheel. Have someone turn the wheel and check inside the boat at the transom any play there?
Engine not running (has same play when it is running), The steering wheel moves with the drive from outside the boat no slack, if you turn the steering wheel from 10 1/2 postion to 1 1/2 there is slack and no movement of the tiller arm.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Registered

check to see if your steering wheel has screws that hold it on other than the nut in the center! I ran into this situation before somebody forgot to put the screws that hold the wheel onto the hub! It had alot of play.