water flow problem SBC Alpha Gen I >

water flow problem SBC Alpha Gen I

Notices

water flow problem SBC Alpha Gen I

Old 04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water flow problem SBC Alpha Gen I

My cruiser is overheating at idle. Once it revs up to about 1700 RPM, it cools back down. I replaced the impeller (the old one was intact and looked new) but it is still doing it. I pulled the hose off the PS cooler and started the engine (with the water on of course). Water didn't come out of the hose until I revved it up. I shut it back down.

When I replaced the impeller, I just used the kit that had the impeller and the gaskets in it. The housing that the impeller sits on looked like it was in pretty good shape, but it wasn't replaced.

I thought that if the impeller was working, it would be pushing water. Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

its always best to replace the whole thing, , impellor housing and base as a compete unit. two other things I have noticed, the budget 'kits that have bellows and hose (in the gimble) the hose they give you is nowhere near as stout as it should be and kinks, check that.. the other problem I had was the hose from the transom assemply to the powersteering cooler. where the hose goes over the ear for the rear motor mount...the hose had gotten soft there and was collapsing, unfortunately for me the hose is no longe available..I went to ace and got a copper 45 degree fitting and hose clamped it in. one or more of those fixes should solve your problem.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

that is one thing that I need to check (collapsing hose). I'll check it tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by duunoit
that is one thing that I need to check (collapsing hose). I'll check it tomorrow.
I would check that first, then the hose from the bellhousing to the gimball housing. If there is no water being pushed at idle there is a blockage or collapsed hose there. It should be flowing plenty of water even at idle.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:57 AM
Registered

I took the hose off the transom assembly and started the motor. Some water came out of the nipple on the TA, but not a whole lot. I removed the drive, put the hose back on and blew water back out the TA. I looked behind the boat, but didn't see anything back there that could have come out. While I've got the drive off, I guess I'm going to split it again and replace the water pump base...
Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

before you take the drive back apart try a hose on the transom assy with out the drive and see if water flows to the circulating pump, If not the problem is not the pump.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

i dont see how you can have a hose collapsing...the waterpump is located inside the drive so the rest of the system would be under pressure....not under suction like a bravo setup has......if anything i would be looking for a pinched or kinked hose somewhere....maybe the one in the transom assembly feeding the engine.....either that or restriction somewhere else....like rust in the exhaust manifolds only letting minimal amounts of water through at idle and when you rev it up it builds pressure enough to flow enough water to cool off the engine.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

With the drive off the bellhousing and you shooting water backwards thru the system there should be water spraying from the bellhousing water inlet hole. If not, your restriction is in the bellhousing or 3/4" hose from bellhousing to gimball housing.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Registered

there was water spraying out the bellhousing when I shot the water in the hose attached to the transom assembly. I don't think it's a restriction in the exhaust because when I removed the hose that comes from the PS cooler (and into the circulating pump), water didn't come out until I revved the motor...
Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Well, I was screwing around with it today. Since the drive was off, I was checking out the condition of the bellows. I tilted the bellhousing up as far it would go. The hose that carries the water from the bellhousing to the transom assembly is dry rotted and cracked. I could see holes in it when I had it tilted all the way up. I'm guessing that the impeller was just pumping the water right out that hose instead of into the motor until there was enough pressure to get it into the motor. I'm going to try to get the bellhousing off this weekend and replace the bellows, hose and shift cable bellows.

Quick Reply: water flow problem SBC Alpha Gen I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.