Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How low is too low for oil, temorary foul up??? >

How low is too low for oil, temorary foul up???

Notices

How low is too low for oil, temorary foul up???

Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How low is too low for oil, temorary foul up???

Had leak in the brass extension tube that goes to oil pressure gauge and low oil pressure alarm. It appears that the 1.5” brass nipple developed a stress fracture and was leaking oil. I did not discover this until returning from a day on the river. Oil was just present on stick but two quarts to bring it up to normal level. Oil pressure was always good and temp never got beyond 220.

Question is if any damage may have been done to engine running that low on oil. Level was fine at beginning of day and likely dropped directly proportionate to run time to a level of two quarts low. Total time that day was maybe three hours no WFO. As long as pressure was OK I am hoping that nothing got scuffed up too bad?

Last time out after correcting this problem ran it about and hour and no oil was used. I would hate to pay the stupid tax some time down the road. I am considering a method to monitor oil level at each startup, some sort of electronic level indicator in the pan, maybe a go no go indicator.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should be fine, especially since you've never lost oil pressure.

I've actually ran out of oil, to the point I had zero pressure, for a short time (less than a minute) That motor is still fine. Holds oil pressure as before, doesn't use any, leakdown is less than 5%.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

my 502 blower motor was pretty tired the third year I ran it and was pushing oil out every seal on the motor,was using/leaking a qt every 1/2 at very end,was cruising along at 4500 and saw gauge dip a few times,pulled into a marina,took 6 quarts to bring it to full and it only held 8 1/2,when I tore motor down bearings still looked like new,you will be fine,Smitty