Wow !!!!!!!!!!!! >

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices

Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a debate!!!!

I'm looking into buying a crate engine, buying a Merc engine or having one built (383).

Three engine builders( one is on the net and builds engines for Year One and a lot of air boat engines) say about the same thing.....

Most crate motors need to have a different cam for better torque.

They need to have 2-3K more clearance between the piston and the cylinder walls due to temp differance. You might get lucky and not seeze a piston.

Yes, brass freeze plugs and SS head gaskets.

What to do????????
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
Comparing the price of a Merc 496HO fully marine equipped to a crate 502 is not even a close comparison.
Take the 502 and change the camshaft, add coplete electronice EFI fuel system, add closed cooling, oil and powersteering coolers, marine motor mounts, bravo bellhousing, bravo coupler, raw water pump system, complete engine harness, coil near plug iginition system, ECM , etc, etc, etc, and you will be well above $14K. You are comparing apples and oranges! The only thing you really get when you try to get a fully equipped reliable marine high performance engine for "almost nothing" is Nothing!
Good Luck!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Yes, I wish I would have heard that from the get go.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by zgoo
What a debate!!!!

I'm looking into buying a crate engine, buying a Merc engine or having one built (383).

Three engine builders( one is on the net and builds engines for Year One and a lot of air boat engines) say about the same thing.....

Most crate motors need to have a different cam for better torque.

They need to have 2-3K more clearance between the piston and the cylinder walls due to temp differance. You might get lucky and not seeze a piston.

Yes, brass freeze plugs and SS head gaskets.

What to do????????

If you are building small blocks. Have a builder make you a 454 small block. 350 with 4.25 crank approx. Put in a really liitle cam for no reversion. In theory this is a torque monster and will never have to rev over 4500rpm.

When I get a small block boat, I am going to experiment with this set up.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

yes my buddy bought a long block 502, bought my old heads502 reworked hdy roller,bought a crane 731can 850bg carb cmi headers used the old maine stuff from a 454 365mag its been 4 or 6 yrs I forget and he leaves his in saltwater all summer doesn't flush and it runs good
Old 05-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered

Anybody that loses a season of boating because of an engine failure, Has got the wrong marine mechanic working on there boat.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Any mechanic that takes a whole season to build an engine is the wrong one also.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

The zz 502 comes WITH brass freze plugs already installed.All you need to do is change oil bypass spings with the 30lb spring and change the head gaskets to marine ones.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Registered

you guys forgot about one of the biggest things. the warranty on the 496 is one year extendable to and tranferable. what is the warranty going to be when you buy the 502 and it craps the bed after you changed everything.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Fro the record though. I know a guy who succesfully has been running 2 of these in fresh water for a little over 3 years now and cannot kill them. They have been abused severly. About same power as 496.

Nothing was ever changed. They are run as they were out of the crate.

Here is link

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...49886_-1_10763
Old 05-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Comparing the price of a Merc 496HO fully marine equipped to a crate 502 is not even a close comparison.
Take the 502 and change the camshaft, add coplete electronice EFI fuel system, add closed cooling, oil and powersteering coolers, marine motor mounts, bravo bellhousing, bravo coupler, raw water pump system, complete engine harness, coil near plug iginition system, ECM , etc, etc, etc, and you will be well above $14K. You are comparing apples and oranges! The only thing you really get when you try to get a fully equipped reliable marine high performance engine for "almost nothing" is Nothing!
Good Luck!

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I agree with you completely. Now here is my question for you-when merc still sold 502 mpi's other than the smaller cam and 30 lb block bypass springs was there ANY difference between a 450 hp 502 gm crate motor bare longblock and a merc 502 bare longblock? I have had both apart and there was no "big" crank clearences or "special" piston clearences. I never did much with the stock heads and exhaust valves so I couldn't say with certainty that the marine motor had the same ones as the crate motor but I am convinced there was ZERO difference in the tolerances when it came to the cranks and pistons,Smitty

Quick Reply: Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.