Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    Registered
    My Boats:
    1993 257 Powerquest

Hook in Powerquest 256??

I built some new 20in trim tabs for my powerquest this winter. Worked out great using the stock actuators. While I was mounting them (flater and more inboard than the stock tabs), I noticed a pretty serious Hook molded into the transom. between the outer and middle chines. There doesn't appear to be any hook between the keel and the first chines.

This boat really likes a lot of stern lift, probably because of this hook. I'm guessing Powerquest designed this in for a better pleasure boat ride when no tabs are used. However now that I've got some serious tabs in the back (enough to plant the bow at any speed), do I really need this Hook? I've got to figure it's really slowing the boat down for no good reason (now that I have the good tabs???

Any thoughts on this?

How hard would it be for a good hull guy to take this out?

I just spent the winter on this nice power upgrade and it seems like I may be running into limitations with the hull (have to really trim the drive WAY up to get it to run)

Registered
    My Boats:
    1993 257 Powerquest
    I'm now told this is called a "wedge". I'm still looking for some thoughts on this. The new motor dynod at 460hp and it's not pulling a 25p prop. I'm experimenting with props that a buddy has, so maybe it's my first prop choice. I'll try a 23p when it stops raining, but that definately won't give me the top end this motor should give.

Below are some drawings. I'm wondering if it's laid up like the second pic or like the third? If it's like the second, then it couldn't just be sanded and gell coated, and would end up being more work than I want to put into this boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Boats:
    formula242ls 1987
    I have a 87 formula 242LS and it also has a small hook built in from the factory. Yes it will take a few mph from you. Just something you have to live with in an older boat.

good luck

Registered
    My Boats:
    1997 380Powerquest Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarpman View Post
    I'm now told this is called a "wedge". I'm still looking for some thoughts on this. The new motor dynod at 460hp and it's not pulling a 25p prop. I'm experimenting with props that a buddy has, so maybe it's my first prop choice. I'll try a 23p when it stops raining, but that definately won't give me the top end this motor should give.

Below are some drawings. I'm wondering if it's laid up like the second pic or like the third? If it's like the second, then it couldn't just be sanded and gell coated, and would end up being more work than I want to put into this boat.
    Post this for "offshore Ginger" to read, in the fiberglass and paint section this is his speciality.