Two stage water pump and a Dual water pick up lower

Notices

Two stage water pump and a Dual water pick up lower

Old 05-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two stage water pump and a Dual water pick up lower

Will a dual water pick up lower be enough water to feed a two stage water pump??? I don't want to do an off shore pick up if I don't have to but I don't want to smoke the impellers either.

I'm currently running stage 1 Whipple intercoolers at 20lbs of water max at 5000rpm with about half of the upper hole's plugged to boost the pressure and I want to run them both off the second stage of the pump with on plugs Dustin said 35-40 would not be a problem I do have a sea strainer and a pop off valve

Is any one runing a set up like this???
Don
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

sea strainer is a must. as is pop off . 35 + IS PUSHING IT. anything more and you will surely have future issues. intake or head gasket failure, possibly hose failure.
2 stages defineately should use a large capacity strainer or you will burn impellers.
as for the dwp lower , either way your pullin thru a hose about 11/ 16 in diameter for s.w.p, d.w.p, or imco.
the advantage of the imco will be the ramming effect that lower has on the water system at speed.
and without an expansion chamber such as a satrainer for the entering seawater to air itself or purge it of air , both your cooling and intercooler systems will not operate at maximum efficiency thus diminishing the porpose of adding these parts to make power.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member

The sea srtainer I'm going to use is for my A/C that I can valve off and jest use it for the intercoolers

Right now I'm steeling water off the cross over and I have one motor that is creeping up ot the 140 range in a longer run thats one reason I want to seperate the intercoolers and get all the water I can to the motor I know the down side to running one two stage pump for both intercoolers is if I lose that motor I will luse both intercoolers water supply
Don
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Any one else
Old 05-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is about a balance of water pressure and temp...if you have the pressure and temps you want in each area, your sea pumps have sufficient flow and should be fine.
A sign of possibly not enough water flow is low water pressure or high water temps. For low pressure, first try restricting the exits at the tail pipes or water dumps to boost the pressure. When you get the pressure right, what is the water temp? Is the water pressure 15+ lbs and the water temp still high? If so, now is the time to work on more water flow.
Bottom line, if your water pressure and water temps are acceptable, you water system flow is adequate.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

But do you think my dual water lower with no plugs can feed enough water for a two stage pump??
Don
Old 05-29-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

i dont think it will be enough, how bout plumbing the water system with a y inline , so you can tap nice cold water off the single stage water pump and send crispy cold agua thru the intercooler.then if you notice a drop in pressure or increase in temp then adjust accordingly.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered
Gold Member

that's not a bad idea Thanks
Don