Overheating Damage? >

Overheating Damage?

Notices

Overheating Damage?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overheating Damage?

Can overheating damage my IGNITION COIL & MODULE??

I overheated due to impeller, replaced that and was not able to re-start. The dealer had to replace ignition coil and module.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes but not likely. If the coil or module was marginal before, it is entirely possible.

Is it an alpha?

A friend of mine (also on lake st. clair) overheated his rinker on the maiden voyage last year (2 sea trials, then the impeller goes out the minute the boat changes hands... lucky day).

Anyway, if it's an alpha, the problem might be the switch on the starboard exhaust riser that momentarily cuts ignition while you shift. It's spring loaded and connected to the shift cable. When you put force on the shift cable it cuts ignition, when the motor pops into gear there's no more force on the shift cable and the little lever pops back into place.

On my friends boat we replaced the cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, and module before figuring it out. That component that kills the ignition, whatever it's called, isn't even mentioned in the service manuals we had (clymers and seloc). Finally had a friend who runs a repair shop (Boat Docs on the Salt River) take a look at it and he had it running for us in about 5 minutes, at least in neutral, and he pointed us in the right direction. Then it would stall every time it went into gear because it was still a little screwed up, but at least we knew where to look.

Turned out on my friends boat that the lower shift cable was touching the exhaust y-pipe near the transom housing, and when the boat overheated, the exhaust got hot enough to melt the casing on the shift cable and cause it to stick. In the end, all we really needed was a shift cable.