i need help choosing my 1st powerboat >

i need help choosing my 1st powerboat

Notices

i need help choosing my 1st powerboat

Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM
mjb
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought...but if this is really your FIRST boat, I would stick with a single engine. A little simpler, less maintenance etc...and better to learn with. you can always step up to something better and faster later. I hate to sound like your mother but I think climbing the boating ladder is much better than jumping in over your head the first time.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mjb
Just a thought...but if this is really your FIRST boat, I would stick with a single engine. A little simpler, less maintenance etc...and better to learn with. you can always step up to something better and faster later. I hate to sound like your mother but I think climbing the boating ladder is much better than jumping in over your head the first time.
I would have to agree. The choices you list suggest you are on a budget, and that's fine. But there will be maintenance, and repairs that will undoubtedly catch you by surprise, especially since these are older boats. Don't kill yourself right away. Let it bleed you slowly. Seriously, go with a single for now. You can always move up later when you better understand what your pain threshhold is. You may find you are happy enough, (or poor enough) right where you are.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:29 PM
Registered

I to am new to boating, well almost new. I had a 19' 165hp I/O from 1988 to 1990. The first year was fun, but the thrill soon went away as it simply was not big enough or fast enough. While I would agree with staying away from double trouble (2 engines) I would suggest spending more than you think you can afford and buy something faster than you think you want. If you don't, you may end up constantly trying to upgrade things for more speed. If you end up on that road, you'll end up spending more money that if you had just bought a more powerful boat from the beginning. Avoid the diease of two-foot-i-tis, go big and powerful.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Switzer SS240
I to am new to boating, well almost new. I had a 19' 165hp I/O from 1988 to 1990. The first year was fun, but the thrill soon went away as it simply was not big enough or fast enough. While I would agree with staying away from double trouble (2 engines) I would suggest spending more than you think you can afford and buy something faster than you think you want. If you don't, you may end up constantly trying to upgrade things for more speed. If you end up on that road, you'll end up spending more money that if you had just bought a more powerful boat from the beginning. Avoid the diease of two-foot-i-tis, go big and powerful.
Great point. For what I have in my POS now, I could of got something much newer, nicer, and faster.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

I'd go with the one that's in the best condition. One way to tell, is to look at the bilge itself. If it's pretty clean, it was probably well taken care of. All things being equal, I'd go with the Senza. Great design, and a cool looking boat I think.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Banned

Not to mention the 454/330 will run forever with normal care. It won't be the fastest, but it will run every time you turn the key, which means a lot after you miss a whole season fooling with a boat.