Yamaha Low Water Pickup >

Yamaha Low Water Pickup

Notices

Yamaha Low Water Pickup

Old 06-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha Low Water Pickup

I've either got to put a low water pickup on my Yamaha 250's or lower the motors back down. In rough water when the boat leans into the wind the up side has trouble keeping water pressure. I found a pair of the bolt-on plastic low water nose pieces, but they were from a 200HP and won't fit the gearcase of my 250's. Anyone have a set for a 250 they don't need? If not, who is the best place to get one of the weld/mold on ones fit for the Yamaha?

Does anyone near Annapolis install them? I need someone with a trailer to be able to pull and re-install the lowers (unless some one knows how to do it while the boat is on the lift, but the prior mechanic had quite a time getting them lined up to put back even on land, and wouldn't think of doing them from the work float).

Thanks - Greg
Old 06-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

www.bobsmachine.com
Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Registered

Bob's products are great- Have used them forever. Could violate your warranty (certain manufactures)-if you stillhave one- better to violaate warranty than have hot or junk motor
Old 06-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yamaha low water pick up's are hard to install right. Bob's does a good job, but make sure the inside of gear case is glued right to flow the water because it doesn't go into the pump like a Merc. Maybe block the top two holes? Had lower water pressure when the nose cone was installed. It was on an older model, but not much has changed w/ the cases.
Attached Thumbnails Yamaha Low Water Pickup-velocity1-017.jpg  
Old 06-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

I've thought of trying to block the top sets of holes, but what do I block them with that won't chance coming loose and going through the pump??

If I have a new pickup installed I'll need to find someone local to coordinate it to get the lowers off/on and get a pickup installed. Bob's also quotes a couple weeks down time, plus shipping, which I'd rather not have to deal with if I can avoid it. Warranty isn't an issue, they are 1993 motors.

I still need to call around and see if anyone local does or has done it before.

-Greg