Boat won't go straight...help >

Boat won't go straight...help

Notices

Boat won't go straight...help

Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Boat won't go straight...help

I've got a 1999 Mariah Z212 with 5.7L carb and Alpha 1 turning a 19 pitch stainless mercury vengeance prop. When the boat is just in gear and creeping thru a no wake zone it will not go straight. It keeps veering from side to side, and I need to keep turing the wheel to try to keep it on course. Any idea what causes this. BTW, same thing happened with a 21 pitch stainless prop. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

grab your drive from the back and wiggle it..if it wiggles its time for a gimble repair. its not that hard of a fix and theres a kit to do it.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's called bow steer and happens on most single engine v-bottoms. Low pressure pulling the bow left and right with no rhyme or reason. I try to always be in some huge radius turn. Seems to help a bit.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is normal, bow steer or 'yaw'. If you have trim tabs, drop them all the way. That will help. Nothing's wrong, but it is annoying as hell.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Deep V's all do this to some degree or another. My old 18' Formula and my newer 30.5' Twin Fountain does it, (full Hydraulic steering with tight gimbals), older non-step hull.

I get the boat more or less straight and then let it swing back and forth, trying to get the "center point" of the swing in the straight line direction of where I want to go. Then there is less "steering input" required, but sometimes the swing in one direction is more than the other and slight correction to the wheel is required.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never heard a civil explanation of 'hunting', which is the technical description of the phenomenon. I can tell you this. All O/b and sterndrive small boats do it to some extent. I have run some that hunted so far, that it was easier to finish the circle than correct it. My 19' Nova with a sterndrive was a bad one. Same boat, same engine, V-drive with rudder: none! Go figure............
Old 06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

It should be less pronounced if you trim the drive up.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by 88Fount33
I get the boat more or less straight and then let it swing back and forth, trying to get the "center point" of the swing in the straight line direction of where I want to go. Then there is less "steering input" required, but sometimes the swing in one direction is more than the other and slight correction to the wheel is required.
What he said...
Old 06-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marylandmark
?

In a no wake zone my boat would rock 60 footers with the tabs down! Bow steer at idle? I think you read the 1st post wrong, just ribbing ya a bit...
ow my ribs what I was meaning that when I go through idle zones or minimum wake (around 7mph) I drop the tabs all the way. Then the bow doesn't really sway from side to side.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered

Can't help myself, maybe lay off the beer. Works for me.

Quick Reply: Boat won't go straight...help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.