Throttle Cable adjustments >

Throttle Cable adjustments

Notices

Throttle Cable adjustments

Old 06-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Cable adjustments

I am an overeducated idiot who just got a pair of fresh engines back from Tyler. Here's my problem;
The starboard engine needs alot more throttle to match RPM's with the port. At 4000 rpms the stbd throttle is about 1.5 inches ahead of port. At 5000 rpms its 2+ inches ahead.
Sometimes I can get enough throttle to reach the Rev Limiters of 5600 rpms on Stbd... sometimes I just seem to run out of throttle. I can always bang them with the port side. I am currently trying some CNC 5 blades via Julie at TU. The stbd side feels like it has a way bigger prop vs. the port.
Both engines dynoed out within ten hp: 583 vs 573 @5500 rpm. Tourque @ 5500 was 557 port, 546 stbd.
Does this sound like a throttle adjustment problem, and if so, how can I correct it? other ideas?
A side note, with my original smaller props I can hit the rev limiters easily, but I do it with less throttle on port side.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be the props. I had this before with a bad pair. I would try out another set before messing with the cables.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

If carbs. take the flame arresters off. With engines NOT running, take both throttles & go wot with them. Then look down carb throats. The blades inside both carbs should be wide open & the same angle. If one is opening more then the other there is an adjustment at the carbs. Different connections have different ways of adjustments. If you look at the cable you should see how to adjust it.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same outdrives?
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Registered

Bravo 1's with 1.5 gears
Old 06-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Turbojack
If carbs. take the flame arresters off. With engines NOT running, take both throttles & go wot with them. Then look down carb throats. The blades inside both carbs should be wide open & the same angle. If one is opening more then the other there is an adjustment at the carbs. Different connections have different ways of adjustments. If you look at the cable you should see how to adjust it.
Did as you suggested, they both open up perpendicular to the carb bodies...
Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered

When both throttles are wide open while running boat in the water, do both engines spin the same RPM? That will let you know if an engine is down on RPM or if a prop is pitched different then the other.
The first thing you need to determine is if it truly is an adjustment issue.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phebus
When both throttles are wide open while running boat in the water, do both engines spin the same RPM? That will let you know if an engine is down on RPM or if a prop is pitched different then the other.
The first thing you need to determine is if it truly is an adjustment issue.
No they don't. Port hits rev lim @ 5600, stbd.peaks out 5000 rpm, using the TU 5blade 29' props.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

You can swap props on the bravo drives. When the sticks are forward you will be in reverse. So be carefull. If the same motor is low on RPM then you know it is not the props and something is wrong with the motor. If now the problem is the other motor you will know it is the props.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

It's not the wheels,.. my 29 Q4's did the same thing to a lesser extent. I simply hit the rev limiter faster on the port side, since both props are now too small. Carder

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable adjustments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.