Bolt on Mods/Upgrades for SB/BB -- Dyno results from CHP Magazine >

Bolt on Mods/Upgrades for SB/BB -- Dyno results from CHP Magazine

Notices

Bolt on Mods/Upgrades for SB/BB -- Dyno results from CHP Magazine

Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
I would think an electric recirc pump would not change the cooling parameters like a crossover does and would therefore be a better answer. I think I am most impressed by the roller rocker switch. Simple, effective and a superior valvetrain in the end.
I couldn't debate cooling parameters, just a strict power change. The crossover removes all parasitic loss; some could argue that adding an electric motor costs "small" HP by loading the alternator. Also adding electrical components opens you up for spark/corrosion issues.
Still no bites on the electric power steering? spark/corrosion issues aside...
Old 06-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
I couldn't debate cooling parameters, just a strict power change. The crossover removes all parasitic loss; some could argue that adding an electric motor costs "small" HP by loading the alternator. Also adding electrical components opens you up for spark/corrosion issues.
Still no bites on the electric power steering? spark/corrosion issues aside...
About 6-7 years ago I worked for a plastic parts mfg. company. We were developing a part for Delphi (GM at that time) that was meant (along with other parts) to replace the traditional belt driven power steering pump. It was claimed that it could save 1-2 mpg in fuel use to get rid of the traditional pump.

I think newer vehicles have this electric power steering pump, but my newest ride is a 2000 and I only was there for a short time, so I can't say for sure.

better mileage = less parasitic drag = more HP
Old 06-20-2007, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Electric steering pump sounds good.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Ive used mezeiere circulateing pumps on my motors for a long time. I also use under drive pulleys on sea pump and alternator. The electric pumps give a constant 8lbs at idle and20lbs at 6000rpm. They also help in the water spike area, they dont seem to airrate the cooling system as much as the moroso pumps I had.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Electric steering pump sounds good.
but wheres the trade off in all these elec components??

elect fans for the rad,elect power steering pump, elect fuel pumps, elect this elect that.......would you not have to eventually run a huge alternator to power all this stuff and cancel the gains by the elect components?......is their a free lunch?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

You're absolutely right, no free lunch. But I don't think you'd need some monster 200amp jobber, maybe a 95-135 would be pretty comfortable.
I don't know if anybody has offered a good quantification of the HP required to turn accessories like water and power steering pumps versus HP to turn a loaded alternator.
IMHO, even if HP was a wash, I'd prefer to have pumps spinning at a constant speed where they can be most efficient , minimize wear and provide a level of stasis.