H20 & Oil Don't Mix >

H20 & Oil Don't Mix

Notices

H20 & Oil Don't Mix

Old 06-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question H20 & Oil Don't Mix

I am looking for a possible cause for having milky oil on top of the metal tray that holds the lifter guides in place. The starboard side head had a little milky residue on two rockers. The port side is ok,no milky oil. I had just changed the oil, no apparent water in the pan. I checked it again now still no sign of water in the oil pan.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Registered

Better keep an eye on it....... Sounds like an intake gasket, however it is odd that is is on one side. Here is what happens if you don't check it and let it sit all winter long.
Attached Thumbnails H20 & Oil Don't Mix-pic00522.jpg  
Old 06-18-2007, 01:47 PM
Registered

I'll definitly keep an eye on it. If the intake was leaking would I not also see water(milky oil) in the pan?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

I agree.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Registered

Thank you for the input. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to proceed. Do I start by pulling the intake to check for leaks? I'm still a bit confused by the only seeing the milky oil in the valley and on the rockers. I just don't want to damage another motor.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:00 AM
Registered

I would pressure check the water system. I pulled the line off the sea pump and put a plug in it. Then pulled the two lines off the exhaust and plugged one of them. I used a standard radiator pressure checker with a couple adapters and a hose clamp to check it. Most boats have water coming in one hose and out two smaller ones at the exhaust.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered

That's a good idea, thanks. Sounds alot better than taking it apart for a first step. I really appreciate all of your input. I'll try to do this asap. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds more like condensation to me. If your oil is not milky That's probably it. Does your oil temp hit 220* to burn off the condensation?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

I don't know what the oil temp is at. I did hear that it could be condensation but I was a bit concerend when I pulled the breather line off of the valve cover and a little water came out of it. It just seems a bit excessive for condensation I think but am not sure.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

just had all the same symptoms and it was an intake gasket, and a head gasket. changing the oil and running kept the oil clean, but running it for the day filled it back up with water. two very slow leaks. under when the r's went up they leaked more. did the leaky intake ran it in the yard for a couple of hours and all was good. put in the water and after a day same issue. Good luck

Quick Reply: H20 & Oil Don't Mix

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.