Big thanks to RMBUILDER!!! >

Big thanks to RMBUILDER!!!

Notices

Big thanks to RMBUILDER!!!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Big thanks to RMBUILDER!!!

I just wanted to publically thank Bob Madera for the fine cam grind he chose for my recent re-freshening of the Ciggie's blower motors. This is the third time (in six seasons) that I've been inside these motors and the last two we ran the same grind cams as what was in there when I bought it.

Even though they made great power before, idle quality was rather poor. In gear idle vaccum was only about 3" and always had a sooty transom and bad docking manners.

Bob had a set of cams custom ground to his specifications with more lift and less duration (my old cams had more duration than a 1075 Merc) She still makes great power, pulls the same rpm and will idle all day with no loading up. It's like a different boat it behaves so well.

I highly recommend Bob Madera, he supplied the entire valve train for this project, chose top quality components, Morel lifters, Isky "Tool Room" springs and Rev valves. I could not be happier!

Kurt
Old 06-20-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

RMbuilder engineered my head/cam combination over 3 seasons ago. My carbed 565cid engines idle better than a stock Merc 525EFI and runs like a terror on plane. To me, the drivability, shifting and long idling periods are all part of the boating experience as well as speed and throttle response. Bob made my engines do what I asked him to make them do. Anyway, glad you're happy with the out come Kurt!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KAAMA
RMbuilder engineered my head/cam combination over 3 seasons ago. My carbed 565cid engines idle better than a stock Merc 525EFI and runs like a terror on plane. To me, the drivability, shifting and long idling periods are all part of the boating experience as well as speed and throttle response. Bob made my engines do what I asked him to make them do. Anyway, glad you're happy with the out come Kurt!
Kamma...aren't your cams smaller than what they run in 525's.... with your cubes it should idle like a singer sewing machine...
Old 06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jdnca1
Kamma...aren't your cams smaller than what they run in 525's.... with your cubes it should idle like a singer sewing machine...
Well, not quite as smooth as a sewing machine, but they idle a lot lower than what we expected and at least smooth enough for my liking---like as low as 550rpm in neutral and 500-550 in gear if I want---makes for excellent shifting and manuvering---probably better than what I really need. I mean, the cams I have now are not really that small and I could have actually installed larger cams that would have made more power, but I told Bob that wasn't my first priority. I wanted to experiment a little and have some fun with the cam thing. I'm not sure how my cam spec valve timing events, etc, compare to a Merc 502 525efi cam, but I love the way mine idle.

Two years ago while I was up in Charlevoix we were manuvering to raft up with some other boats when I heard a couple of brand new Fountains idling over by us to raft up and they had the stock Merc 502cid 525's and I was surprised at how smooth my 565cid's idled in comparison. The Merc 525's have a very choppy/rough idle...but then I guess it's all a matter of perspective.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep...even the 500EFI's stocker's have a nice chop to them... I know somebody who put one in his 454...I think captivia, with side exhaust...man that thing sounds wicked especially coming from a family boat... You and I are opposites, I love the big, nasty, choppy, rough azz idle from large cam's best one was a 280/[email protected] on 115 with ~780" lift and stupid ramp speeds on a NA 632 with Dry exhaust..It was still loping at 4000 rpm... I could get it to idle ~950 on a good day...but it would have been happier @1200...

Put a Crane 651 in a blown 502 and it sounds pretty nasty too, but nothing like the above..

Last edited by jdnca1; 06-21-2007 at 12:18 PM.