An Fittings- How Do You Assemble Without F&*^ing  Up The Anodize >

An Fittings- How Do You Assemble Without F&*^ing Up The Anodize

Notices

An Fittings- How Do You Assemble Without F&*^ing Up The Anodize

Old 06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts
Default An Fittings- How Do You Assemble Without F&*^ing Up The Anodize

came home today to find a package with the rest of my needed parts to start assembly of my oil lines / fittings...

bought the vice jaws and a set -4 /-12 wrenches..

well , i find out that all the wrenches are good for is tightening the fitting , not assembly...

what's the trick , i already scatched up 2 -12s...and have alot more to make up...

help please....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dako "Fix-O-Spann" adustable wrenches, good luck finding them though.

They are brass jawed and extremely parallel working jaws. The are German pipe-fitting tools, I have a couple pair of them. They were very hard to find 5-6 years ago, but are perfect for such types of work.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I bought a aluminum an fitting holder that is 2 halves that clamp together over the fitting,it can also go in the vise and goes from -4 to -12. Also found a wide jawed 12 or 14 inch crescent wrench that is brand new helps,Smitty
Old 06-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Banned

I put electrical tape over the adjustable wrenches.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The real truth is that aluminum fittings do not belong on a boat. You need stainless.
Amazingly , but true, I found out that the chemical structure of the anodizing is similar to that of the naptha whereas it has a hexagonal ring providing chemical stability.
What they do is soak the part in an electrolytic bath, and are actually building up the corrosion layer artificially, and then use dye to fill the small hole that is in the middle of the hex. and boil the part for an hour.
They can add a refrigeration cooling coil in the bath and this alows the coating to become thicker than would occur normally.
This process is called hard coating, and will produce a surface with a rockwell hardness of at least 80, coming near that of a diamond. Check out DIY anodizing . com do a search, very interesting stuff indeed.... BBB
Old 06-28-2007, 03:33 AM
Registered

Smile

Yes, just like the fuel stabilizer, the anodizing restists oxidation. The problem is it is a very thin layer and will succumb to the marine environment. Used 12 an fittings on oil lines last year and are very hard to turn now.
Interestingly but so, the Spanish term for stainless steel is inoxidable. That says alot more in my opinion, and gives me more respect for Spanish people.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I bought a aluminum an fitting holder that is 2 halves that clamp together over the fitting,it can also go in the vise and goes from -4 to -12.
They make a plastic one that works well also. I use this in a vice during hose assembly and works quite well.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by open72
came home today to find a package with the rest of my needed parts to start assembly of my oil lines / fittings...

bought the vice jaws and a set -4 /-12 wrenches..

well , i find out that all the wrenches are good for is tightening the fitting , not assembly...

what's the trick , i already scatched up 2 -12s...and have alot more to make up...

help please....

YOU DONT
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

We Are A Big Earls Distributor And This Is What We Do.
First We Rap The Fitting With Two Layers Of Good 3m Masking Tape. We Then Put This In A Aluminun Soft Jaw . On A Size #12 We Start The Fitting In The Soft Jaw And Finish With The B-nut In A Line Wrench, This Holds Better . Also Earls Makes Ano-tuff Hard Anodized,we Have Found This To Be The Same As Stainless On Our Salt Spray Test.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Registered

Get some good athletic strapping tape, the kind trainers use to wrap ankles, etc. Put a couple tight wraps around the fitting. Clamp the outer part of the fitting in the soft/flat vice jaws, and use a big crescent wrench adjusted tightly to the insert part of the fitting. Apply a little oil before inserting.

Quick Reply: An Fittings- How Do You Assemble Without F&*^ing Up The Anodize

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.