broken gimbel bearing??? >

broken gimbel bearing???

Notices

broken gimbel bearing???

Old 07-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken gimbel bearing???

yesterday went to take off and caught a huge chunk of concrete or something in the river canal. Broke skeg completly off of lower unit, and destroyed prop. Followed by burning rubber smell and boat will only idle forward. When trying to accelerate rpms jump up and boat goes nowhere. Did i melt the rubber bearing on rear of engine? Is this the gimbel bearing? found replacement aluminum skegs online for under 20bucks. If welding these replacements parts on, do the guts need to be removed from the lower drive? also all gears and drive shaft and ujoints seem fine. does engine need to be removed or can i replace this part with it in the boat? any help or advice would be great...thanks so much..
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Sorry for the problem, sux with July 4 coming up. Burning rubber sounds like a coupler, engine removal required. Welding the skeg is no problem as long as an inch or two of the original is left, leave the drive assembled & full of oil.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You spun your coupler. Engine needs to come out to replace same. The lower unit should be inspected thoroughly, if your prop sustained that kind of damage then you may very well have distorted the propshaft. In which case the lower unit needs to be dis-assembled and the p/s replaced or straightend. Then competently re-assembled. In some instances with those Alpha drives the driveshaft splines have also sustained damage. (Presuming you are running an Alpha)

Depending on where your skeg broke off, then removal of guts may not be necessary. A break of less than 3/4 guts don't need to come out. More than or complete skeg destruction then yes all guts must come out, otherwise the welders will distort the bearing carrier and trash the sealing capability.

Last edited by Trippin; 07-01-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered

thanks for the reply trippin----just wonderin offhand if ya know roughly a cost of the coupler assembly either factory or if they offer aftermarket parts---also too the skeg snapped real close to the drive belly of the lower unit and not much is left----if i used alumalloy weld at the low temp they claim it goes liquid at do you think i might get away without disassembling it??? i know it is a chance but just getting different views onit from different people----play it safe or roll the dice i guess----thanks again
Old 07-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Coupler is going to cost you between $300 and $500 depending which one you need. Some times you are able to lift and move the engine forward enough to swap the coupler without removing the engine. It was a tight squeeze but I did mine two weeks ago. The worst part of the job was cleaning up the mess form the grease and melted rubber.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would'nt roll the dice on that skeg repair. Dis-assemble the unit and have the skeg welded on properly. The coupler is around 300 dollars, if you would like to give me a serial number from either the drive or the motor I'll check my cost on one and see if I can get you one reasonable. I can also take care of the drive for you if you want to ship it down here. I don't play the rip-off game on these boards.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Spun a coupler.

With the damage you have, I would call you insurance agent.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If the prop hit something hard enough to spin the coupler, I'll bet good money the prop shaft is bent. Even if not visible it will "wobble" and eventually cause alot more damage than you already have......get that drive apart and inspected. I know a couple guys that had prop shafts lock up and snap off.....dropping the shaft and PROP to the bottom of the river.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Registered

hey had drive checked and all gets the ok----no twisted splines or bent prop shaft-----it all turns freely with no binding and im gonna have that skeg welded on----hope to put the coupler in on thursday night if the part is here hopefully-----sux being grounded on 4th of july as everyone is all geared up for a fun day out on the water-----maybe if all goes well i can be out by saturday or sunday to put the outdrive in the water and make sure she works ok with no noise or vibration----thanks so much to all who responded i appreciate the help and advice----hope you all get out on the water for the 4th and have a blast-----be safe and enjoy the holiday!!!