Mercury Thunderbolt ignition module question >

Mercury Thunderbolt ignition module question

Notices

Mercury Thunderbolt ignition module question

Old 07-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury Thunderbolt ignition module question

My boat came into my hands with a V6-14 module. Last weekend I tried a V8-hp module on loan from a OSO member. When I went to switch modules part way through the day I found my module to be extremely hot. This would have been the first time I happened to touch the module after or while the engine had been running. At first I thought it had to do with the heat from the engine, as the module, which is riveted to a mounting bracket, is bolted to the backside of the right head. The module on loan came loose(not riveted to a mounting bracked) so when I made the electrical connection I zip tied it in place, not touching the engine. This module also became very hot after a short period of use. Is this type of heat generation during use normal?
Old 07-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know about the heat, but did you see any difference in performancewhwn switching to V8-HP module ??
Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being that the wife was with me, I wasn't allowed to see how things changed at WOT, but I like the way it ran overall. The V6-14 module when used in a V8 application has an advance curve that starts around 750 rpm and is all in by around 1000rpm. I've been told this is better for big cam and blower motors, but I didn't care for how it worked in my application. Now the motor runs nice and relaxed at idle of about 950rpm and I seem to feel the power come on as the rpm increases. I'll post the change in performance by next week after I get a chance to ride without the wife.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The module must be grounded 2 ways. It must be grounded with the black ground wire and the module case must be grounded. When it is mounted to a steel plate, the module gets grounded via bolting it to the engine. If its not bolted to the engine, then you must run a jumper wire. Tis could be cause of it getting hot.