Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Isky Red Zone with Easy Roll Lifters? >

Isky Red Zone with Easy Roll Lifters?

Notices

Isky Red Zone with Easy Roll Lifters?

Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Isky's record of no failures of the Red Zone lifters is intact. We found a plugged oil passage in the lifter so no oil was getting to the top of the push rod and it caused wear on the rocker causing a loss of valve lash. All in all about the best possible failure. Cam is fine and no disassembly necessary.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a failure on the Isky Red Zone lifters....
Old 07-08-2007, 05:33 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
I had a failure on the Isky Red Zone lifters....

Details??
Old 07-08-2007, 05:34 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by check300
Well, Isky's record of no failures of the Red Zone lifters is intact. We found a plugged oil passage in the lifter so no oil was getting to the top of the push rod and it caused wear on the rocker causing a loss of valve lash. All in all about the best possible failure. Cam is fine and no disassembly necessary.
Thats good news. Gotta love the "No tear down required."
Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check 300,
you lucky dog you!! LOL. I was not so lucky, complete tear down and new lifter bushings, new lifters, new push rods. Gettin tired of not going fast!! I may have to join you guys and presurize this motor??? What's the learning curve on that??
Old 07-09-2007, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

The learning curve on what we're doing was pretty steep but the good news is we have it figured out. If you decide to head in that direction let me know. We have a pretty big list of what does NOT work.

Bill
Old 07-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have broken solid roller lifters using Comp Cam #866's, the Isky Red Zone #372-96-RH and others. I am convinced they all will break with enough sustained RPM and hours...at least without extensive testing. Maybe the new Isky Easy Roller will be a break-thru...but I wouldn't count on it. My Isky lifter failed due to the wheel fracturing with no indication of wear/change in valve lash. Why? Probably due to poor tracking of the cam lobe.
For 2007 we are using the Crower .937 solid rollers and a 55 mm cam core; however, the significant difference is the entire valve train as been SpinTron tested and stabilized. With the SpinTron process you install all your valve train components into a specially prepared block and run at all RPM's by turning the valve train with a mandrel (in place of a crank) connected to an electric motor. Stability is obtained by matching the cam profile, lifters, valve springs, rockers, timing chain/belt and pushrods. Fine tuning is generally reached with valve springs or by varying the pushrod diameter (stiffness) and wall thickness (weight). The SpinTron process uses a "camera" connected to a computer to measure in .001's the lifters ability to track the entire cam lobe at all RPM levels.
This technology is a primary reason that todays Cup and Busch cars can live at 9500+ RPM.
The BBC lifters get a lot of bad press because this is the valve train component that generally breaks first. The real issue is likely due to a miss-match of valve train parts. For this reason, no single component will likely correct a flaw in you valve trains design. In other words, making the lifter stronger may be a band aid and is not addressing the root cause.
Who can help? Without doing your own testing, consider letting CompCam or Crane pick all the components for your entire valve train where they have done system SprinTron testing.

Hopefully my testing and the SpinTron technology will be the end of my BBC valve train concerns.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,
I am thinking of psi on the cold side instead of the exhaust side, but pressure is pressure, right?? . It wont happen before this winter, need to just get back on the water.. Hope to see you out there, when I do.

D*ck
Old 07-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

So what are the ramp speeds on the cams that are breaking lifters?

I've heard just as many problems with hyd. roller cams...
Old 07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

BenPerfected,

Interesting post. I wasnt aware that you can have your personal valvetrain tested on a spintron. Who did that for you? I agree that many times a lifter failure is blamed on the lifter when the real problem lies elsewhere. I am sure everyone will agree, we cant take our valvetrain lightly. It has to be perfect or it will fail. You cant have too much stability.

Vinny

Quick Reply: Isky Red Zone with Easy Roll Lifters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.