454 Bravo One Overheating.  Very strange >

454 Bravo One Overheating. Very strange

Notices

454 Bravo One Overheating. Very strange

Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the inline flush on the Cig that's "T'ed" into the sea pump. When I turn on the garden hose water comes out of the drive until started. The sea pump works on suction.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps a little clarification: when YOU say "flush kit", are you talking the ear muffs that go on the drive? Those won't typically push water through the system until the pump is turning.
When I say "flush kit", I'm talking about a T that's installed in the intake hose between the transom and the pump. This gets connected to the garden hose so you're bypassing the transom and drive. My apologies if we are on the same wavelength here.
Also, I re-read your earlier post: the intake hose connects to the pump at the top port, lower port is the pump outlet. Sounds like you have that backwards before?
Back to your issue: if you have the muffs on, and the hoses are connected properly, but you're not getting anything while "the engiine is running", it's possible to have something in the drive; you said you replaced a hose in there? Perhaps an oring gone bad?
Otherwise, the problem is in the transom or the intake hose like said before. You mentioned that you ran the motor with the intake hose in a bucket and all was well (you felt suction). That seems to confirm the transom theory, or drive issue.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
LZH
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad I found this thread. I just blew the same impeller on my 500 EFI...luckily it happened at the dock just after puttng in.
I installed the new one, but I wasnt aware that the impeller needed to be greased or lubricated....is this true ??? If so, no big deal...it's a 20 min job.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LZH
I'm glad I found this thread. I just blew the same impeller on my 500 EFI...luckily it happened at the dock just after puttng in.
I installed the new one, but I wasnt aware that the impeller needed to be greased or lubricated....is this true ??? If so, no big deal...it's a 20 min job.

You'll be fine lubed or dry. Lubed helps getting the impellor into the housing abit and prevents a dry start when 1st started. But, remember it's never 'lubed' after the boat has been pulled from the water. Will take a second or 2 to suck water from the drive once back in the lake, which inturn provides the lube. I usually use dishsoap if changing them at home. Otherwise, dry.
Also, no need to worry about the direction of the vanes. They can be in both directions. They will flip the right way the instant the pump is turned. Hard enough to get the little bugger in the housing w/o worrying about the orientation .
Old 11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the no water topic....

Standard side pickup.
Several yrs ago I was trying to run my motor on muffs. I tried both the standard clamp around type, and the Merc type that used a pin thru the pickup holes. Neither one would supply my motor with water. Have ran it numerous times before with both styles of muffs with no problems. I finally pulled the drive off to check the transom hose.....all OK.
So for chits and grins with the drive on the stand, I hooked up the muffs to check for a blockage in the drive itself. No water would come out the drive itself. There was no blockage. I could see that the passage was free as can be. Water would simply not come up the drives internal passage, the 12" or so even at full pressure. If I held the muffs tight to the drive, no problem. Craziest thing. Put drive back on, to the lake, no problem. Next time on muffs, no problem.

No explanation why it would not work that day.