Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hit Rocks,tore Drive Off,checking Coupler >

Hit Rocks,tore Drive Off,checking Coupler

Notices

Hit Rocks,tore Drive Off,checking Coupler

Old 07-19-2007, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey awesome thunder----im also in upstate ny and also had the same thing happen about 3-4 weeks ago except i didnt rip the drive off----we were just getting going from a stop and went about 3 feet before hitting something huge in the canal of the hudson river just north of the waterford bridge----dont even tell me it was the same place for you----i had to replace my coupler as it had spun completely---possibly due to old age and fatigue---also snapped the skeg clean and ruined a brand-new prop----definitely pull the motor and check for damage in the flywheel area like the coupler and bellhousing---

steve
Old 07-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well dealer said needs 19000.00 in repairs.insurance company ok'd drive,transom assembly,coupler,prop,trim rams,everything from the flywheel back.can't wait to see how much they raise my rate or just drop me.starting the boat today,should have it back for next weekend.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered

good luck with the repairs---hope all turns out fine for ya...
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

this was on sacandaga lake checkmate.never been on the hudson but thought about it.thing is i have been boating on the lake 10 years and thought i knew where everthing was.i was wrong.thank god for insurance or i'd be done for awhile
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
well dealer said needs 19000.00 in repairs.insurance company ok'd drive,transom assembly,coupler,prop,trim rams,everything from the flywheel back.can't wait to see how much they raise my rate or just drop me.starting the boat today,should have it back for next weekend.
My claim was $9500. Transom assembly/drive/coupler/prop and labor. Raised my rates less than $100. Hopefully you will be as lucky. I know prices have gone up in the 4 years since mine, but damn, $19K for pretty much the same stuff. Ouch
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

been to saratoga lake a few times and loved it---did ballston lake a few times too---small but nice to have fun with the kids and we knew someone on the lake to dock up a few times---my buddy has a camp on kinderhook lake as well which i liked a lot---ive heard sacandaga is beautiful but can be dangerous if you dont know the lake----apparently it can be dangerous even if you do know the lake----i work with a guy named john who has a camp on sacandaga and says the same thing about the rocks and such down there----gets a little tricky when the water gets low----the hudson gave me a really bad experience and taste in my mouth being it was only the second time out with the checkmate----i was really pissed considering i hit that right in between the marked buoys where you are supposed to be safe---maybe try the mohawk if you dare ----heard it has less pitfalls and debris than the hudson---maybe we can run into each other when you get your boat fixed----ill be in my 17' diplomat bowrider with the grey hull and dark blue/light blue stripes and flying by with the kids on the tube----when out on the water here is what i look like.... ......good luck with all

steve
Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
What drive do you have? A Bravo XR with HP transom?
My Standard Bravo and standard transom was about $7500 plus about $2000 in labor.
19K sounds like a lot, unless there are repairs needed on the hull.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
What drive do you have? A Bravo XR with HP transom?
My Standard Bravo and standard transom was about $7500 plus about $2000 in labor.
19K sounds like a lot, unless there are repairs needed on the hull.
sounds like you and I did the same damage
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

19K ???? Nice insurance is covering it but it sounds like the dealer is making unjust profits which in turn puts you in jeopardy of undue increase in premiums. Without knowing what they are doing for 19k it is hard to say.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
Registered

the estimate got dropped to 14,800.00 but still seems high for
a bravo 1 transom and drive,coupler,and all the little things that go with it.i was thinking 8-10k