Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Fuel Pressure >

496 Fuel Pressure

Notices

496 Fuel Pressure

Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am still trying to figure out where my fuel pressure is going after the the ignition is turned on and the pump cyles off.
I replaced the boost pump, not it.
I pulled the fuel rail and injectors out of the intake manifold to make sure one wasn't leaking and they are all dry as a bone under presure as the pumps are running.
No fuel leaks anywhere. I did notice that under closer inspection the pressure actually goes up to like 47 or so while the pumps are running. Once they cycle off it drops fast.
Can hear no signs of an air leak once the pumps shut off.
has perfect 43 psi at idle on hose and runs good. Just starts hard occasionally when hot.
What else is left? Pressure regulator on top of the fuel cooler?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Makes sense since that is a pontential fuel poressure leak down point.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Registered

had the same problems and it was the crank sensor. changed it 2 weeks ago and all is running good now. I went ahead and purchased the cam sensor but will have to disassemble some seats to get to it.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

I guess I'm not positive my occasional hard start is fuel pressure related but there are no codes active or logged for crank, cam or any other sensor.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have no clue if the fuel pressure leak down id related to the hard start issue but the fast leak down is not normal and may be indicative of other maladies with the system that is. The fuel pressure regulator could be the faulty item as suggested.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Yes, That fuel pressure leak down will be the regulater on the cool fuel pump @ the bottom of the motor. I know no fun to get to..
Old 09-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

Yeah, the motormount bracket off the stringer is right in the way. The plastic cover is even tough to get off. Any tricks to it?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speedreeder
Yes, That fuel pressure leak down will be the regulater on the cool fuel pump @ the bottom of the motor. I know no fun to get to..
Do you have to take the fuel cooler out completly to remove the pressure regulator or can you get to it while its in place?

Did you get your oil pressure problem figured out?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Registered

Turnernd, Yes just loosen the two nuts that hold the cool fuel to the block and it will pull out enough to get that cover off. You can change out the reg. without taking it all the way out . ..Yes figured out loss of oil press. on 496?....Motors where not "pickeled" as said they were. Alot of junk on pickup screen.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

What kind of junk?

Originally Posted by speedreeder
Turnernd, Yes just loosen the two nuts that hold the cool fuel to the block and it will pull out enough to get that cover off. You can change out the reg. without taking it all the way out . ..Yes figured out loss of oil press. on 496?....Motors where not "pickeled" as said they were. Alot of junk on pickup screen.

Quick Reply: 496 Fuel Pressure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.