need stereo amp advice for subs >

need stereo amp advice for subs

Notices

need stereo amp advice for subs

Old 08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need stereo amp advice for subs

hello all, just purchased and recieved today a set of new kicker comp L 7 12" square dual voice coil 4 ohms subs and need some real world advice on anyone running sim setup. they say that the square 12's act more like 15's with the extra size being since there square has anyone installed these and not been happy or maybe really happy good and bad i'd like to know . didn't know since there 750/1500 wts a piece if i should run an amp to each or extra power usage wouldn't be worth extra bump. i have 6 six/half 3wys and 6 seperate 2way tweets for mids and highs and sound amazing so that parts done i had jl 12's in it and was going to throw a bazooka 10 under rear seat but thought i'd try to go this route first and try to save some storage space since its a premium on my boat. anyone have a large amp that they love and would highly recommend??? thanks in advance
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Registered

Check out Rockfod Fosgate amps, they are an excellent quality amp. http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ID=94975810011 Check out this site, you can just pick out the amp size depending on hoow crazy you want to take it. Just out of curiosity, why did you want to swap out the JL's for the Kicker's?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Registered

Kicker amps are awsome..since you already have the kicker sub... try this site..they sell new and refurbashed..I bought two from them last year..great amps for the money..

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...l/fp/SFV/30046
Old 08-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Registered

Default .

the reason for the swap was that i was at put in bay a few wks ago and played my stereo at full blast for 4 days and one of the jl's didn't hold its own and didn't make it back so i've always heard great things about the kicker's and was going to go with the standard 12's but heard with the extra surface area of the square ones that they sound more like 15's don't know if true or not but these things are massive they're over 25 lbs each! and are 14 by 14 size wise. we shall see. heard great things about the kicker amps also but didn't know which one. i currently have a large fosgate punch amp powering the current 12's prob hook new one's up to that and see how it bumps but looking to just buy 2 new amps so whole system is new.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im running a Memphis class D mono amp and it has a ton of power. 1 ohm stable to.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Registered

Default .

hey whoya which amp are you running and what are you powering? i've never heard of memphis amps before but just did some research man they look like they make some serious power. so whats up with me having 4 ohms speakers and memphis making most of there power at 1 ohms does this mean my speaker aren't really compatable?
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reeking Havoc
hey whoya which amp are you running and what are you powering? i've never heard of memphis amps before but just did some research man they look like they make some serious power. so whats up with me having 4 ohms speakers and memphis making most of there power at 1 ohms does this mean my speaker aren't really compatable?
The speaker load (ohms) will tell the amp where to operate. 1 ohm is a very low load and if an amp can operate there without issues, then it is said to be 1 ohm stable.

You have mulitple ways of wiring things up, especially with DVC's. There's probably a dozen combinations possible here. Anything from 1 amp to 4 is possible. Do not under power these speakers! If anything, error on the side of overpowering.

Combo 1: Wiring each coil in series and parallel the 2 speakers together. This will yield a 4 ohm load demanding 1500 to 3000 watts. Find and amp that does at least 1500-2000 watts at 4 ohms. Can be a mono amp or you can get that power by bridging 2 channels.

Combo 2: Wiring coils and speakers in parallel. That will yield a 1 ohm load but still demanding 1500 to 3000 watts. Then find and amp that does that power range, but at 1 ohm this time.

Combo 3: Use 2 amps. Wire coils together presenting a 2 ohm load at 750 watts. Find a 1 channel or bridged amp that makes that power (or some more) at 2 ohms, OR you could find a single amp (2 channel) that makes 750 to 1000 watts a channel at 2 ohms.

There are more combos when you factor in all the makes of amps. Don't forget that these speakers need a REAL cabinet of .88 to 2.0 cubic ft for each driver. Mounting them in a bench seat and running them free-air style can hurt them. They need that acoustic suspension to operate correctly.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Registered

I have used them before, and they hit hard. Put them in a 1.25 cu.ft. box. You must put power to them. I think we used the SX600.2 Kicker amps on them.

I am pretty sure we used the 2 ohm dual VC version and wired it in series to present the amp with a 4 ohm load.

The boat has 2 of the 10" in the back seat and one 12" in the cuddy. Thing hits like a freight train.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Registered

Here's a digram of how to wire the two 4ohm DVC down to 1 OHM

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftec...2&woofer_imp=4
Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered

I had a Kicker L7 10 in my malibu wakeboard boat in a kicker box and it hit like a 12 or better. That is the only kind of sub I will ever buy again. The second stereo shop that hooked it up made it sound alot better than the first stereo shop. I think that also makes a difference. They take alot of watts but sound awesome. I will also only put them in Kicker approved boxes because I think airspace is a main factor in sound quality. I had the kicker 700.5 i think. that also powered a few of my 6 1/2's.

Quick Reply: need stereo amp advice for subs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.