Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
700SCI Questions >

700SCI Questions

Notices

700SCI Questions

Old 05-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a buddy that test drove a deckboat with a 700NXT package First owner only had it a few months. He said it took forever to get on plane, due to the software holding the motors back. He didn't purchase for this reason. Said he couldn't imagine what it would be like getting on step with 8 people on board. I think Merc is being very conservative with the NXT to ensure no bad press in the beginning. I like the drives overall. It would be a perfect drive on my 28 Cat.. Two #6's would simply be too much weight hanging off the ass end on my boat.

Darrell.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
I have a buddy that test drove a deckboat with a 700NXT package First owner only had it a few months. He said it took forever to get on plane, due to the software holding the motors back. He didn't purchase for this reason. Said he couldn't imagine what it would be like getting on step with 8 people on board. I think Merc is being very conservative with the NXT to ensure no bad press in the beginning. I like the drives overall. It would be a perfect drive on my 28 Cat.. Two #6's would simply be too much weight hanging off the ass end on my boat.

Darrell.
I just ran one the other day (friend bought one, and I gave him about an hour of sh@# for not buying our stuff), and I saw that the boost was a bit low compared to throttle position below 3000rpm. Never tried 100%, but at 50%, at 2500rpm, it has 1psi of boost which is a bit low, especially for blower speed. Therefore, it's only logical that they have the bypass system open more there. But they don't offer the bypass position info on the data logs of the Rinda software. Maybe the merc laptop based program gives more data, has anybody checked into it?

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 05-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Registered

Curious if the 600SCI has the same issues? If you can get it with a XR, then I could certainly see it.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a clip on the 600's you might find interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWFi1SE2R7M
Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Went out last weekend in a 39 TG with 700SCIs. No issues getting on plane. Couldnt see any boost until 3800RPM. I thought it was a nice package.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 700 Nxt

I just finished a 700 NXT upgrade on my 05 382. Photos are on the formula thread. I have no lag whatsoever. The 700's launch the boat on to plane. I never mash the sticks down anyway. These are not dragboats. 11,000 pounds. The NXT's have a ventilation port that releases the props with just a little throttle. I would imagine that a six would need a tube to release the props. On a deckboat i would guess there is a prop issue. Try a few before you walk away. They are really impressive in a 382. Dan from Team Archer marine did the install. I think the X dim is really critical to lift the large bullet out of the water. Also turning in was the "choice". My 2cents
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I just finished a 700 NXT upgrade on my 05 382. Photos are on the formula thread. I have no lag whatsoever. The 700's launch the boat on to plane. I never mash the sticks down anyway. These are not dragboats. 11,000 pounds. The NXT's have a ventilation port that releases the props with just a little throttle. I would imagine that a six would need a tube to release the props. On a deckboat i would guess there is a prop issue. Try a few before you walk away. They are really impressive in a 382. Dan from Team Archer marine did the install. I think the X dim is really critical to lift the large bullet out of the water. Also turning in was the "choice". My 2cents

What are your boost numbers when comming on plane? Maybe a newer program this year?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
What are your boost numbers when comming on plane? Maybe a newer program this year?
You would think they would have different cals for #6 with big trans, #6 with small trans, NXT with small trans, etc. I think some customers just don't see it because they don't drive it like the guy in the youtube video! I'm sure they all have similar cals.

Dustin
Old 05-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Registered

That video is exactly why Merc would detune there motor drive combo.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I took my boat out yesterday for the first time 08 39 with 700's NXT's.
The boat had no problems getting on plane. In fact this boat gets on plane faster than my 38 with 525's. There was no lag time. I was very happy with the way the boat got on plane.

Quick Reply: 700SCI Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.