ignition help

Notices

ignition help

Old 08-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ignition help

I have been chasing an ignition problem and need ideas. The wiring harness started life on 900sc motors. I have changed boxes on both motors to crane 6ms and crane coils and msd distributors. I have run this combination for about 80hrs. with no problems. Now the port engine shuts off randomly at any time and will usually start right back up or not. I have a toggle to energize the ignition and another toggle to crank the motor. It is not rpm sensitive, idle or wide open and before it shuts down the tach may bounce slightly for minutes or seconds. I eliminated the lanyards on the port motor and ran a day before it happened again. I have checked for loose wires while the engine ran and could not duplicate the problem. The grounds are tight. I am looking for ideas. The problem seems to be getting worse and more frequent. I plan on switching out the crane box and coil this week but the gremlin rears up after I think they are gone. I have not been able to duplicate the problem in my shop and I'm tired of launching a boat to find out it is still sick. Thanks guys. Doug
Old 08-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bad tach or shorted tach lead will do that, unhook the tach then test. Good luck
Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy but gets over looked, Did you check 10 pin connector? Is it pushed in all the way? Bring a jumper lead next test, connect coil to battery direct. Good luck.
Jim
Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The 10 pin seems fine and I will take a jumper along on the next test. Can a coil or crane box act this way? I don't mind having spares on hand! I would rather buy spares than switch ignition parts side to side, they are wired so solidly and I really don't want to upset the good motor. I can easily disconnect the tach. Is there anything else. I may as well go armed with a list of ideas. It's getting a little embarrassing, attempting a boat outing with friends and launching only to have the same problem appear. New problems I'm used to but one on going is getting real old. Thanks Doug
Old 08-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have similar issues, se this thread. and give ME some ideas to.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=165354
Old 08-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My combo is not fuel injected and is not fuel related. I have twin dominators and 1071 blowers. My fuel pressure is 7lbs. and I run both mech. and electric pumps on each engine. I will be taking the tach out of the loop and will carry a jumper wire to eliminate the ignition wire. Could a coil be my problem? I have completed a poker run with no problems only to have issues after the run. The problem is worse and now will appear within a few minutes sometimes or might not show up for up to 20 minutes. Any other ideas? Thanks Doug
Old 08-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a battery disconnect switch, try by-passing it. I had one causing ignition problems a couple of years ago.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I will add the perko switch to the list. Thanks guys, I will be compiling a list and this weekend I will finally lick this problem. Any more ideas? Thanks Doug