turbo charged

Notices

turbo charged

Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HSBdriver1
Markku,
The drives are rebuilt bravo I's with XR parts. Did you change your cockpit layout at all? Can you post some pictures?
Thanks,
Hey HSB Driver how did you remove the gasoline bladders do you have any pictures of that
Old 09-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexx
All this turbo talk is getting me excited...maybe I won't sell my turbo EFI setup!

About this john deere tractor turbos, where did you get them, what part number and for how much? And with your twin setup, what is your engine centerline spacing? Mine is only 34 inches which causes the turbos to bump into one another without a manifold to kick them into the intercoolers. I have Garrett turbos with PFM intercoolers.
Used a center flanged exuast housing and a wedge tilt them in. Small blocks in 30 ft superboat only 7 ft beam. Have more info in watercooled turbo thread.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Registered

The 4 bladder were cut out of the boat from the floor board. The life of the bladders is about 10 yrs according to the company and just to replace one was well into three Thousand. The Fuel gage for the bladders was around $600. If you want pictures I"ll send them to your email account.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

a group of 4 active HSB's just rolled thru our local marina on Saturday. they stopped over and i went over to take a look yesterday. the crews were doing some rather involved maintenance at a rather rapid rate. those guys are connsumate professionals. it was very impressive. hearing what little noise they made when they fired was too. i couldnt quite get a good-enough look under the hatch though. all i could see was they were big, grey and looked natural.

at any rate, seeing them made me think of this thread. you HSB owners truely have some big boats in your posession. HSBDriver you gotta post some results here when you finally get'er runnnin.

Last edited by fubar260; 10-15-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Registered

Default pictures

Originally Posted by fubar260
a group of 4 active HSB's just rolled thru our local marina on Saturday. they stopped over and i went over to take a look yesterday. the crews were doing some rather involved maintenance at a rather rapid rate. those guys are connsumate professionals. it was very impressive. hearing what little noise they made when they fired was too. i couldnt quite get a good-enough look under the hatch though. all i could see was they were big, grey and looked natural.

at any rate, seeing them made me think of this thread. you HSB owners truely have some big boats in your posession. HSBDriver you gotta post some results here when you finally get'er runnnin.
some pictures
Attached Thumbnails turbo charged-hsb1.jpg   turbo charged-hsb2.jpg  
Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Fubar260,
Is your marina on the east cost? Did you notice if the HSB's had back ramps? As of today the engines are not installed.
I'm sure my HSB will be louder because the sound proofing that was in the engine bay has been removed. The exhaust is still being ran out the bottom.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

You're giving up a lot of power in the exhaust system. The same rules apply to turbocharged engines as do naturally aspirated engines when it comes to flow losses. The log manifolds have a restrictive sharp elbow at the end, and the turbine outlet also has a very restrictive elbow. A good running turbo system will have the same pressure in the exhaust as it does the intake. Most turbo systems are poorly designed, and have much higher pressures in the exhaust as the intake. That means pumping losses during the exhaust stroke, poor chamber scavenging, and turbos which have to have restrictive turbine sections just to get the boost up. Turbocharging really is a balancing act, and that's why very few people succeed at it.

Also it gets difficult to get really good intercooler efficiency with a carbureted draw through system. If the intercooler is too big, fuel can drop out of suspension, ruining your mixture distribution. If it is too small, intercooler efficiency is low, and the intercooler presents a large intake restriction.

I guess you can try it out and see what it does. You'll have a lot of room for improvements that can be made later.

Michael
Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM
Registered

wouldn't the exhaust thru the bottom at an angle have a scavaging effect at speed, like a venturi?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have been more for quiet at any speed stealth as you will