Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Testing Fuel Pressure (under load?) >

Testing Fuel Pressure (under load?)

Notices

Testing Fuel Pressure (under load?)

Old 09-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Fuel Pressure (under load?)

I have a 2000 454 that is not turning up as fast as it should. Only has 160 hours on it. It runs strong right up to 4200 rpms, no miss, no fuss, seems smooth. Just seems like it should have more. It is a 23 ft bowrider with a 21p mirage + prop. The boat is new to me, so maybe I am just expecting too much. If the pump were not supplying the propper volume would it still be smooth?
I am awaiting the software to turn my lap top into a scanner to see what the sensors are reading.

At any rate, I would like to test the fuel pressure. Since it only may be weak at WOT, I assume that is the only valid way to test it.

Is it as simple as just hooking up the gauge, having my wife nail it, and read it? I really only ask, because extra fuel plumbing on a boat under pressure makes me nervous.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

Alrighty then.
I don't think I need to do it under load. I hooked it up in my driveway, and got 43 psi (spec) with the engine off.
But then I started it, and only got 36 at 1000 rpm.

I am looking at a fuel pump here, eh?

Am I wrong?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be a high pressure filter some where, change it and checking your pick up in the tank for obstruction would be a good start.
Jim
Old 09-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Thanks MM.
Just doing a search here, and found something that may pertain also.
I measured with out doing anything to the vacuum line going to the regulator. My seloc manual makes no mention of this, but some folks here state maybe I should have dissconnected and pluged the line? Makes sense, the pressure would drop under idle vacuum. I have a *real* merc manual on order.
If this is in fact the case with the vacuum line, seloc left out (or I missed) an important detail!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Registered

What motor do you have? There are different fuel systems. How many hours on motor?
Jim
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Registered

Double post!

Last edited by Fast Algae; 09-03-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Registered

2000 7.4 mpi, 160 hours.
Turning 4200 rpm and 45 mph.
The boat is new to me, it may just be " it is what it is". Based on others with same boat/prop/ altitude etc, I think it should be turning a few more rpms/ mph. Who knows? Maybe it is just the tach, etc.. Seems to run smooth enough, just trying to make sure everything is as it should be.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Its better to be near the top of the recommended rpm range. Not knowing whether you have a problem or not some basic things to check would be compression, riser gaskets, pick up restriction, and Hi pressure filter. If everything checks out try a different and/or smaller pitch prop for comparison.
Jim
Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered

O.K., just so I can eliminate this off the list, what exactly should I see when I hook up in the lake?
At WOT, I need to see 43 lbs, correct? Or is measuring this a silly pursuit, as the only spec listed is 43 lbs @ 1000 rpm. (With, apparently, the vacuum line disconnected)

Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Registered

All you need to do is hook up the fuel pressure gage and run it under load and if it starts dropping, then it will be clogged filter or hi pressure regulator on the cool fuel. Just went through this and the pressure was 42 at key on and idle, But dropped to 35 under load and it was not enough fuel. Long story short another shop had put on everthing but the hi pressure reg. on the cool fuel...Problem solved. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Testing Fuel Pressure (under load?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.