Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine Flushing >

Engine Flushing

Notices

Engine Flushing

Old 09-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put some dish soap in the hose before I flush. I don't know if it helps or not, but I know when the exhaust water quits bubbling, fresh water has been completely circulated through the engine and manifolds. I have aluminum intakes on my Formula, which worry me, so I pulled the thermostat housing a little while back to check for corrosion. Not a sign of it. Just flush hell out of it EVERYTIME you use it in salt. Btw, my engines are 21 years old, and have been used 99% of the time in salt water.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a link??Not everyone has a fresh water lake at their disposal.I use Thru-Blue. The stuff really seams to work.

Eric.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts
Unhappy

I also use salt away. Engine, gen, and airconditioning flush. I have a garden sprayer and I go around spraying rails, down in bildge, and ect, and the trailer (after fresh water flush, soap wash, and rinse). I just feel that you should give your boat the very best oportunity to survive the salt environment. I bought the boat used / salt water use / professionally maintained at a rachominium. I also own a regal cruiser from new. Formula 05 .... regal 03. My regal engine cabinet, door hardward, hatch hinges, helm, and railings put the formula to shame. I just believe in the product and if nothing else, I feel like I am doing everything that I can ....... I am afraid that the salt will eventually win.

Andy
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghittner
Salt away every time after salt water...
Oh yeah, I also drain my block and heads after each and every use. It only takes an extra five minutes and the petcocks are there just waiting for you.....