Notices

Pre Lubers

Old 09-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
Does anyone have irrefutable evidence that a "pre-luber" has extended the life of an engine (to any degree). There is an enormous amount of circumstantial evidence that it does, but who is supplying this information?

Now if your warming the oil and then using the pre-luber, you might be on to something, but to force "cold" oil through journals and tight clearances you had better have a pump that's got plenty of "grunt" and it had better be able to flow at least 6 gpm @ 80 psi. Otherwise, that pressure rise on your gauge is an indication that the cold thick oil has found its path of least resistance and you're not do any thing but wearing down your batteries.

How can a preluber coat piston skirts, cylinder walls, piston pins, cam lobes, lifter faces and or rollers?? If a preluber can not protect these surfaces then what good is it??
So you think that the diesel engines with prelubers driving emergency power generators have been fitted for fun ? Some also have preheating of the oil, but that is more to ease the starting of the engine in cold temperatures.
What about engines that have not been started for a very long time (may be years), they can not benefit either ?
New assembled engines ? No need to prelube ?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about piston aircraft ? They are everywhere in that field. I guess it depends on your oil as to the cold viscosity. I use Alysin and by comparison to some I guess it's pretty easy to push through.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phazar454Mag
So you think that the diesel engines with prelubers driving emergency power generators have been fitted for fun ?
What about engines that have not been started for a very long time (may be years), they can not benefit either ?
New assembled engines ? No need to prelube ?
I think you're kind of answering your own question and pointing out the area where a preluber DOES actually make sense. I don't think anyone will say prelubers are bad. But they only "add value" in situations like you describe: looong periods of not circulating the oil.
We could probably get into a discussion about the differences between diesel and gas engines and their lubricating systems, and how long an engine can/would/should sit before being turned over/run.
But the original question was "why don't more people use them"...I think that's been answered.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple cheap and effective for us lazy poor folk. Pull lanyard and spin engine for 5 seconds, bump lanyard switch with knee and motor fires right up at dead idle. Replace lanyard after fetching dockmaid from ramp.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
welllllllllllll... not really. if the oil pressure gage comes up you have oil everywhere that is pressure oiled. certainly none of the places that are splash oiled but all the oil galleries are full and pressured including the cam, crank and lifters.
Lifters and top end componets only recieve oil at 25% of the crankshaft rotation ....So using the Preluber only flows oil to 25% of the Valvetrain ....m

But I guess 25% is better than zero % .....
Old 09-21-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BadDog
Simple cheap and effective for us lazy poor folk. Pull lanyard and spin engine for 5 seconds, bump lanyard switch with knee and motor fires right up at dead idle. Replace lanyard after fetching dockmaid from ramp.
I don't like that approach on injection engines. I guess the kill switch only prevents spark to the spark plugs ? So the injectors will still work during cranking and during a cold start they will inject "larger" amounts of fuel. But may be that is not a problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

At times when my own personal engines have sat for long periods of time with out starting I pull the distributor and prime the engine. (12 months or more) When ever I rebuild an engine I always look at and study the bearings very closely. Engines with and without prelubers. I have yet to see any difference in wear patterns or anything as far as that goes. This might be one of those things where if it makes you feel good about having them then use them if not don't. My own project that I am working on had them and I am not reusing them. Only because of what I menitoned above and also I freshen the engines every 400 to 500 hours regardless. I am a firm believer frequent oil changes with todays oil is helpful more than anything.

Last edited by getrdunn; 06-05-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the Keith Eickert electric pre-luber. It will build 20+ psi and has an inline filter. Quick disconnect also allows for quick and painless oil changes. Pulls the oil from the bottom of the pan. Nice.