Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar? >

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Notices

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Every man to his own, Iīd say.

Its pretty simple really - if you get a kick out of building your own package up, and are prepared to set it up and test run it, to get all the bugs out, thereīs lots of power potential in both Raylar and Dustinīs kits.

Having read through the assembly and settup manual for the Whipple 525 kit ( 750 hp, yes, I looked at it seriously over the winter) , it looks like all the bases are covered and it would be a lot of fun to do.

I just would be careful of mixing too many good things together, only to become the unpaid test pilot. Oil spewing out of the breathers, mid season, and every one you ask says it must be the other guys component!

Its not how fast you are, but how long you are fast.....right?

Great thread!
The 525hp efi motor is certainly better than the 496, lower compression, aluminum heads, bigger cam, better exhaust, forged crank, rods and pistons, etc. You can modify a 496 and make 750 or you can keep the 525 stock and make 775 Then build the 525 a year or two later for 1000.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
How about this Dustin : .037 quench, hyper pistons, 12cc domes, 9.5:1 static, 120f water, 200f oil, al edelbrock heads, 1050 dominator with 177 weiand (orig 525sc), r41 plugs, 30* max timing, cometics, tuned with af meter plumbed into exhaust and high flow fuel pump. Could it live at 3.5-4#? The equivelent of 12.1:1 compression. I'm looking for a yes here cause thats what I got. Even so, a honest no is better if thats what you think.
I see no reason why this would have an issue, just run your a/f @ WOT around 11.5:1 - 12.0:1. Cruising should be 12.5:1 - 13.0:1. Also, if your still with the 454ci motor (525sc), then 30deg is max, I would certainly start at 28, typically a high compression (over 9:1) and smaller ci motor does not need much timing. I bet you wouldn't see 10hp difference between the two unless your overly rich on the a/f.

Your biggest problem is going to be your SC, it's really small which takes extra hp and makes extra heat.

If you spent all that money on the motor, then another $300 wouldn't hurt. You can get a wide band a/f meter from summit (afx, autometer, innovative) or AEM, Dynojet, etc.

Dustin
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Dustin,

You mention: "Mercury's new software shows the knock signal in Mhz, this should be monitored." Is this software for the PCM555 and if so how does one go about monitoring the knock signal?

You mention: "Since were talking about 496's, timing is not adjustable so thats the only parameter you can truly view to make sure it's right." Can you change/reprogram the PCM555 spark timing?
Yes, Mercury's new laptop based software shows knock sensor signal. This is new, before, the scan tools never showed knock info. It will spike when it senses knock.

I can change spark advance and any other parameter, but the user can't.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dustin

Can you get me some info on the Whipples? Price. specs. etc?

WildCArd

If I can get a set of 525's and drop them in I would do that, but I have to find a buyer for the 496's, first. I already have 3 boats, I hate to get stuck with motors to.
I think I just get headers/exhust upgrade, superchargers, labbed props, and see what happens, with the HP and speed.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dustin,

This is good news about the new software being able to show the knock sensor signal/spike when it senses knock.

To make sure I understand correctly this software does not show the raw knock sensor signal but instead the Merc ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal as no knocking = no spike readout and when the Merc ECU's interpretation of that raw knock sensor signal is knock = spike readout?

Where / how does one obtain this software? Is there a scan tool (non laptop) that includes this feature / capability?

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Yes, Mercury's new laptop based software shows knock sensor signal. This is new, before, the scan tools never showed knock info. It will spike when it senses knock.

I can change spark advance and any other parameter, but the user can't.

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 03:32 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I canīt believe that a stock and healthy 496HO is difficult to sell. Maybe you should be looking towards Europe. Many people upgrade to that motor, here. My 2003 140 hour HO went for 8250Euros (11500$) and many are priced much higher.

I sourced my whole package (525/XR, Imco box/Hydr, steering/ props and bling) thru Doller Offshore. I think I paid 35000$ for the motor/drive/transom package. I guess your looking at 28000$ for the motor alone. Or if you can find a Pacemaker motor (Mercury Racing exhibit - refurbished and delivered with full garantee) you may be down to 22000$.

And like Dustin said, it is a solid stepping stone to 775 or 1000 hp
.....oh boy, what a choice to have to make
Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 430 Likes on 207 Posts

I have XR's already, so I'm ready to bolt in and go!
Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered

Good point Techman, If I go to the 525's or +. I need new drives and sell the Bravo 1's. Fu;l nkng vnjs gbna.....
I mind as well start from scratch and sell the house, live next to the new 750's in the engine compartment.
I figured hitting 80MPH will be enough, but enough is never enough. GGGRRRRR
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

Wild Card.
I been in Stuttgard before. Do a little checking around for 2 496 HO's 170 Hrs. New fuel injectors. I am courious what the market is.
I have some time.. don't need the decesion right of way. (and I know the Doller boys/girls to.)
Old 10-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
I see no reason why this would have an issue, just run your a/f @ WOT around 11.5:1 - 12.0:1. Cruising should be 12.5:1 - 13.0:1. Also, if your still with the 454ci motor (525sc), then 30deg is max, I would certainly start at 28, typically a high compression (over 9:1) and smaller ci motor does not need much timing. I bet you wouldn't see 10hp difference between the two unless your overly rich on the a/f.

Your biggest problem is going to be your SC, it's really small which takes extra hp and makes extra heat.

If you spent all that money on the motor, then another $300 wouldn't hurt. You can get a wide band a/f meter from summit (afx, autometer, innovative) or AEM, Dynojet, etc.

Dustin
Mucho gracias Sir!

Quick Reply: 496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.