Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar? >

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Notices

496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Question 496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

OK. Here is the final results for the need for speed issue. More HP.
What is the best upgrade among these three options.
Any input with previous experience of any of these (or others) would be appreciated.
And.. best exhaust?
:ernaehrung004
Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what i found out the hard way was ,first have good forged parts inside,second dont stay in boost to long with stock pistons i was in boost for 7min {meltdown} third its not cheep to rebuild even back to stock, i will be selling my procharger when i get my motor back
Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

what is best? A raylar HO600 with a procharger on it
Old 10-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

MAP sensor Fooler

Originally Posted by PARADOX
OK. Here is the final results for the need for speed issue. More HP.
What is the best upgrade among these three options.
Any input with previous experience of any of these (or others) would be appreciated.
And.. best exhaust?
:ernaehrung004
I blew up a 496mag on my old boat. First I did the stage 2 whipple program. Ran Great but then I thought I wanted to go faster. 2nd I added a Procharger Kit. I wanted to go with a Whipple Kit but it was to much $ for me. I bought a used Procharger Kit. I never liked the way the map sensor bleed off worked. I had alot of Detination. I had Whipple turn off my map high limit switch but by then I had cracked several pistons. I like all 3 products, but too bad they could not all team up together on on the 496 and help each other out.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

Is it common for the standard motors to let go under boost? How many hours on your motor bob? How much boost where you using?

Cheers

Dave
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Registered

3.5psi got the boat used i put 60hrs it ,im thinking 150hrs
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Registered

I would never run a supercharger on a stock 496. I've read a lot a problem stories with Whipples and Prochargers. I just don't think the stock 496's are built for it.

I think you're much better off reliability wise with a Raylar kit, but I'm just a keyboard jockey in this department. I've owned 3 496's, but always left 'em stock. Eventually, I'll probably go with some Raylar upgrades when my warranties are up if I can bring myself to part with the stock reliabilty. If you're looking for upgrades AND reliability, Raylar seems to be the way to go unless you plan to tear into the motor and replace most of the stock parts. Then you'd have some boosted options too.

John
Old 10-13-2007, 02:19 AM
Registered

I agree with JohnnyG the motor is proabably the most reliable stock BB platform money can buy! However, when boost is added the top piston ring is to close to the top of the piston thanks to the EPA and its not forged to start with!

Another option is to swap in a Merc 525 if the exhaust holes will line up. I have yet to get a strait answer on that one. Then just sell the 496

Raylar kit and exhaust will get you 560hp but you would be close to the same money as a forged internal whipple set-up at that point and you would be over 600hp.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Most reliable will be a NA 496, but with less hp.

As far as the Whipple, or Procharger to set these engines up right apsoluty requires a dyno and fine tuning the fule curve. To just blot on a kit and run it your risking your engine. No one knows exactly what is happening and different rpms.

I am currently rebuilding my lower because I bolted a Whipple on my engine in the spring with 300 hours on it. I have 400 hours on it now, and feel I should redo the lower. Well apon disasembly I found some evidence of to lean at higher rppms,a dn way to rich at lower rpms. I will dyno this engine when I am finish assembly and will fine tune this engine perfectly!

This is from experience. If you go with a supercharger, dyno dyno dyno....!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys, good help and info.
I wouldn't mind swapping the 496's for some 525's or a higher output motors.
The 496's have 170hours. I have to find buyer for the 496's first. Plus swaping mototrs I need help or a good mechanic. +$. Prochargers I can do myself. I like the Raylar but again, some one else needs to install their stuff.
More thinking and research is in order.

Quick Reply: 496 HO's, Procharger, VS. Whipple. VS. Raylar?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.