XR Drive oil change w/ WPM steering >

XR Drive oil change w/ WPM steering

Notices

XR Drive oil change w/ WPM steering

Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR Drive oil change w/ WPM steering

I have Bravo XR drives and WPM steering. The WPM drive brackets are blocking the top vent plug. Any trick to changing the drive oil in this situation w/o removing the brackets?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have the same set-up on my 26ZX Donzi. There really is no need to get at the top vent plug. Just take the cap off the drive reservoir bottle to use it as a vent and screw out the plug behind the prop. I usually let the drive drain overnight as it is fairly slow at emptying.

If you really feel the need to take out the top plug they sell small right angle ratcheting screwdrivers. When I first got the boat I used to take out the plug you are referring to with this tool. From all the great stuff I have picked up here on OSO I learned there was no need to remove said plug.

Tim
Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Almost forgot. When refilling you just basically reverse course. Start pumping the gear lube in from the bottom plug just until you start to see it make an appearance in the reservoir bottle (a helper - even a youth that can say "dad I see it" - allows you to not have to keep walking around the boat to check). Once the fluid has arrived I usually just wait a couple minutes as it tends to creep up a little further in the bottle. Unhook pump from bottom vent trying to work quickly to avoid loss/mess. Top off reservoir bottle and you are done for now. For the first few trips I keep some lube in the boat as it often tends to settle out a bit.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Registered

I wound up pulling the bracket off to get it to drain quicker. It wasn't too bad. but I did learn that when refilling, you gotta have the bracket back on as the mounting bolts also act to hold the drive together. It was a bit messy for a bit.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:22 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by synack
I have Bravo XR drives and WPM steering. The WPM drive brackets are blocking the top vent plug. Any trick to changing the drive oil in this situation w/o removing the brackets?
I also have WPM steering and I can remove the top vent plug without removing the drive bracket. The top vent plug however has been replaced with a 12 point head type of bolt (plug). Still not a lot of room but it works OK.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a similar problem with my Mayfair steering. I ground a screwdriver at an angle to reach the screw.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen this problem on other brands of steering systems too! Probably the same bracket is made by one company and sold to others. That aside, it would only take a small notch cut out by the manufacturer to allow access to the vent! Poor engineering in my mind! Steve
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It s simple really. The wing plate on my BH drive covers the vent hole so I just drilled a 1/2" hole thru the plate directly inline with the hole in the drive. Screw driver goes thru hole to plug, presto.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

My Marine Machine steering on the Pantera had a hole on the side of the bracket to access the upper plug. The MM brackets on the AT don't have the hole. I'll either drill holes or just open the reservoir cap.