Electricaql Help

Notices

Electricaql Help

Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electricaql Help

Have a problem with part of the electrical system. The port motor and some other electronics are working fine. The starboard side does not work. It also controls the radio,engine hatch and maybe a few other things. Now when I hold the 'parallel' switch on the dash then the starboard side works. Also when I plug the shore power in and turn on the master switch the starboard side still does not work. I first thought and maybe still is a battery problem. But I also thought if thats the case why doesn't the shorepower turn it on because you bypass the battery right? I have checked for loose wires on the batteries and opened the battery box but can't seem to find anything obvious. Any help is appreciated
Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

check the 50 amp breaker on the motor, and check the main wire connection, pull it apart and put it back together.
does your boat by any chance have safety lanyards, depending on how they are wired, they can cut power to a lot of things?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idea??

You should also check the 90 amp fuse on the starter. Another idea could be the boats main harness. Do you have a 12v power supply going to the helm?
Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
The BAD Guy
Platinum Member

Ok let me try to explain better. Its not that the starboard motor doesn't start. Its that there is no power going to that motor as well as other things like the hatch that are powered from the starboard side. It all works when the parallel switch is held. I am going to try a new battery I guess and see if that does it unless anyone has any more ideas.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey,

I have been having issues with mine this season as well. I have been putting it off till I put the boat back on the trailer in a couple of weeks.

Mine started off with my voltage meter not working all of the time on my starboard side. Then, one night I went to hit my panel lights and I had no panel lights to illuminate my guages. I changed the fuse and as soon as I flip the switch It blows the fuse.

So at that point I am thinking I have a ground short somewhere off of the panel lights which I persume can affect all the guages due to the fact that each guage has a panel light.

Then a couple of weeks later I get in her and flip my toggles up and my fuel guage is reading "E". That would be fine but I had just fueled her up. So now I am thinking some bastard Siphoned 180-192 Gallons of fuel out of my boat. I head to the marina to get fuel and notice that when I adjust my drives my fuel guage begins to dance up each time I adjust the drive. Sure enough I only needed 15 gallons of fuel so it all has to do with my electric blunder.

Then, Today I am running along and my starboard tach starts dancing around crazily if I am between 2500-3200 rpms. If I bump her up to 3500rpm's she is fine.

I was already planning on doing the bezels on my guages and doing my vents over the winter, so I am going to have to figure what it is that is touching something it isn't supposed to inside my dash. I wanted to wait until I have plenty of time because, As you know, the wiring looks like it is a friggin airplane (cushion clamps and zip ties about every 1/2 inch).

Let me know what you discover and I will do likewise. It will probably be another 3-4 weeks before I tear in to mine. It was 82 degrees and sunny today and I hope to do a bit more boating before winterizing and starting the projects.

On another note:

My hatch is wired seperate. I can have both my battery's turned to off and my hatch still works.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

You have not mentioned the battery switch configuration and how you are setting them. Are they wired together which is normal? Battery position 1 and 2 and Both or do you have single "ON ,"OFF" switches for each engine? Do you have voltage out of Bat switches and to the starter,and 40A breaker (the red button on motor)? Battery switches do fail.
normal I suggest that you guit chasing the (+) cables and start checking your grounds. Start at the starboard battery to the motor and then the negative between the motors.
Because you said that the STB side works when pushing the Parallel switch everything works , you are bypassing the battery switch.
Walt
Old 10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a ground wire either fell off of became corroded. did you recently do any motor work? is the crossover ground cable connected between motors? follow any auxilary black(ground) wires from the negative terminal to their destination (trim pump, dash panel bus, or bus panel on firewall in engine compartment. good luck - jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 925 Likes on 465 Posts

do you have two battery switches? does the motor work when you switch over to the other battery? If the Stbd side motor is on batt 1 and you switch over to batt 2 or all....do you get power?

The ground wire could also be the culprit as Jeff mentioned...easy way to check that is to run a set of jumper cables between the engines or from the battery to the engine straight

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered

Keep It Simple...put a meter on the battery first. Weak batteries do funny things.