Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 has slop in p/s

Drive moves side to side when you push it. Need help
Old 10-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Does the boat have external steering rams? If so, it could be that there is air in the hydraulic steering and it needs to be bled.

The other possibility is that your gimbal ring is worn out. When you move the drive, can you see where it is attached to the transom assembly? Does it look like there is an area of movement that has slop in it? If so, your gimbal ring is worn and needs to be replaced.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

If the slop is in the attachment beteen the tiller arm and the gimbal ring, use your money to buy a full hydraulic external steering instead of a new gimbal ring. The tiller arm attachment is a lousy design.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Registered

you have a bad gimbal ring for sure and i am sure the seal for the tiller arm is leaking water into the boat too. i believe someone makes a sleeve to repair the ring but if the intermediate housing is rotted out in the seal area you will probably have to replace the housing.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont just add hyd steering. That is not a proper fix. You must first fix the slop & then you can go hyd.. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

Default Gimbals

Had to replace both gimbal rings this spring; not cheap but important. I was also told to just add Hyd. external steering, but decided to fix it right. I would bite the bullet, fix the gimbals and everything else,(shift cables, bellows, etc.) & then consider the upgrade to ext. hydr. steering later. It is safer and your boat will be worth a little more....just my .02.
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 has slop in p/s-active-thunder-pics-engine-etc.-3-.jpg  
Old 10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 213 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
Had to replace both gimbal rings this spring; not cheap but important. I was also told to just add Hyd. external steering, but decided to fix it right. I would bite the bullet, fix the gimbals and everything else,(shift cables, bellows, etc.) & then consider the upgrade to ext. hydr. steering later. It is safer and your boat will be worth a little more....just my .02.
is that hyd steering ???
who makes it and did you notice a difference<<
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
is that hyd steering ???
who makes it and did you notice a difference<<
That is not hydraulic steering. That set up has a tie bar and 2 steering stabilizers. I think he was saying that he hasn't done hydraulic yet but has done the gimbals.

Adding hydraulic steering will NOT fix a worn gimbal. You may eliminate the side to side play, but there will most likely still be up and down play. If it is the gimbal, it needs to be repaired properly. If not, you are putting yourself in danger when it fails. If it fails at the top end, you will have a spectacular crash worthy of the evening news!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

In the meantime and for every non-hydraulic steering boat owner reading this, you "should" check the torgue on these bolts pictured both at the beginning, and at the end of each season. As the drive gets used a slight wear begins to develop inside the ring and as it grows older the wear becomes more pronounced due to the increased movement. Keep the ring clamped tight around the pin and it will significantly increase the life span of the gimbal.

Although yours is probably worn a great deal by now, re-torgueing these will take a lot of slop out, but it will eventually get loose again. Loosen both first, then re-torgue to 55 ft lbs. each.

Also the link below is a good alternative vice buying brand new. Might even be better......Good luck

http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm
Attached Thumbnails Bravo 1 has slop in p/s-gimbalbolts.jpg  
Old 10-30-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

If the only problem with the gimbal ring is the slop in the tiller arm, I don't see why one should spend the money to change the gimbal ring if full hydraulic is the route forward. Anyway thats what I did and it works perfectly.

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 has slop in p/s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.