Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location >

Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location

Notices

Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location

Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One really important thing to remeber- if you're screwing a sending unit into a tee, adapter or other in-line place to measure oil temp, be sure it doesn't restrict oil flow. i've seen long senders that would cut flow in half- which is bad.

Also, no sharp-angle fittings. Use sweeping 90's and 45's if necessary. Go up one hose size, then adapt down where they go into the engine, adapters, etc.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by race9
I "believe" that this port is reading pressure as oil is coming from the pickup to the filter. This is the fitting on the side of the block. So its the highest reading spot in the system.
I wish we knew for sure. If it is, then it's a good spot for temps (hot oil sucked from the pan), but not good for pressure since it still has to pass through the filter and cooler.

Otherwise the opposite would be true?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Registered

Agreed. Thanks for hashing it out with me. I've got mine in the remote filter head now but wanted to confirm & bounce ideas around for myself and whoever else might read.

Cheers!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered

The remote filter is the easiest. The place it belongs is after the cooler, before it goes back into the engine.
You need to know temp of oil to the bearing. Thats the purpose of knowing oil temp. To assure proper lubrication to the bearing.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Relocating the sender from the T off the remote filter to the engine port above the filter pad did no good ...maybe as stated the probe was not in a good stream of oil ...
Then I relocated the sender to the oil thermostat .. Drilled and taped a cap over the spare port ..the probe is well into the main body of the housing ..measures the oil comming from the filter ..( lock..filter ....thermostat ...cooler ...motor)...
works ... ran 180-190 yesterday at 3200 cruise ... Now the question is did they send me 190* stats or 212's ?
Attached Thumbnails Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location-625-7201-drawing.jpg  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Registered

Pulled the Thermostats and they are the correct ones ..212* ......Temps still wont get up over 190 and I am getting milkshake on the bottoms of the Valve cover breathers ....

Just a note I am still running one motor with 142* stat and no stat in the other ...both motors run the same 140-150 .. cept I did notice in the motor without the thermostat the oil temp is alot slower to come up at all and is generally lower .. So i am thinking the motor with the thermostat seems to get the motor a more even temp overall ...but still have low oil temps ........m
Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered

Ran across these ... pretty cool .....

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1227
Attached Thumbnails Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location-temp-gauge.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
convincor (07-20-2022)

Quick Reply: Best Oil Temp Sensor Mounting Location

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.