Hardin Oil cooler with Thermostat >

Hardin Oil cooler with Thermostat

Notices

Hardin Oil cooler with Thermostat

Old 11-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hardin Oil cooler with Thermostat

I have one of these coolers on my 502, and I think I have it plumbed wrong. Should the oil be coming in the thermostat side or the other side? I have it coming in the side without the T-stat and out of the side with it. I seem to be getting oil temp a little on the high side for having a 3x19 cooler on a 600hp 502. I can see as much as 275* if I stay in it.

Just for a reference, my oil comes out of the adapter, to the filter, then to the oil cooler, then back to the block adapter.

Thanks,
Frank
Old 11-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in on thermostat side
Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

I have the same one.....good to 1000 hp? Where are you reading temp from? My 775 hp whippled 540 gets up to about 240 or so when I'm on it. I read the temp at the oil filter head fresh from the pan.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used the same Hardin cooler and it's been very effective at reducing oil temps. I'd be suspect of your oil filter by-pass valve.
With temps that high with such a large cooler, I'm guessing that your oil is by-passing the filter and cooler.

Kurt
Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

You guy's are right, that has to be what's happening. With me having the inlet side coming in (oil) the open side, and the outlet at the thermostat side, the easiest path for the oil to take is through the bypass. Looks like all I have to do is reverse the oil cooler and I should be good to go. I hope so anyway!

Thanks guys!
Frank
Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Registered

Anyone have a diagram?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Registered

Found this interesting.

Gen V and Gen VI big-block crate engines come with two oil pressure bypass valves installed in the engine blocks. Both of these valves are rated at 11 psi pressure differential. One valve is for the oil filter and the other is for the production oil cooler. If you install an aftermarket oil cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the oil filter pad on the engine block, you should be aware that you need to change the oil filter bypass valve in the engine block. The aftermarket oil lines add resistance which will cause the bypass valve to bypass the aftermarket oil cooler and/or oil filter all the time. Obviously, if the cooler and filter are bypassed the oil will be dirty and hot. Your engine could run hotter and could be damaged by dirt in the oil. If you choose to use an aftermarket cooler or remote oil filter that attaches to the pad, you should change the bypass valve to one with a higher differential pressure rating. A good choice would be GM# 25161284 which is rated at 30 psi. Remove the valve that is closest to the crankshaft and replace it with the new valve. Press the new valve into the engine block and stake it in three places. You should note that the bypass valves don't need to be changed if you use a production oil cooler which uses the production holes in the engine block and you don't use a remote oil filter. Also, if you use an adapter that just angles the filter for clearance you don't need to change the bypass valves.