Blower Motors >

Blower Motors

Notices

Blower Motors

Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 35 Likes on 8 Posts

Where is the boat at i am not too far from DC?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ar15meister
Motors supposedly have 4-5lbs of boost.

I think I am going to need to factor in rebuilds into my offer because I cannot take the boat at his asking and then put ten to fifteen into them, might as well buy a different boat.
You just summed it up!
And 300hrs is not over the edge on a mild set up if she leaks down well ,it may only need a top end,the problem is you really don't no .
After my last boat purchase with engines that I new needed to be rebuilt but were built by one of the 2 biggest names in the Marine industry so I factored that in on my purchase.Well I didn't factor in near enough.
Can you say different pistons in the same bank,wrong bolts I can go on and on, my projected 10k per side turned into quite a bit more.
My buddy just did the same thing on a pre owned boat with a pair of factory Merc short blocks and he payed full price.First engine ate cam shaft second dropped valve seats .
At this point unless they have a warranty on them I think you have to figure on deducting the cost of rebuilding anything you purchase used or just pass.
Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not exactly sure, all the guy told me was 30 miles south of DC.

I am waiting on a call from my engine guys before I call him back and make arrangements to have someone see it.

Everyone is telling me to do the leakdown and compression tests. I have a vague understanding of what this entails but I do not think I can do them.

I need somone who is knowledgeable in this area and knows good or bad motors.

The engines were built by MRD apparently and Skip told me that they didnt look too bat at all from the pictures but obviously needed to be torn apart to figure out what is really going on.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Leak down check pretty much the intergrety of the sealing in the cylinder check blow by, bypass of rings ect, The compression test check the pressure at which that cylinder is making. I think its no more the a 5% difference from your top psi to any other cylinder. Wish i could help more, if i was in DC id do it for you. There are plenty of guys hear that could help you out in the D.C> area i am sure