Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Jet Black 496ho Oil..... >

Jet Black 496ho Oil.....

Notices

Jet Black 496ho Oil.....

Old 11-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Minxguy, I do agree that black is subjective, but how would you explain my diesel truck oil staying clean to the finger test after five thousand miles verses a boat engine running just a few hours. My diesel truck averages about 100hrs of run time to 3000 miles of use. I would think that a diesel oil would be containing a lot more soot and junk than a gas powered 496? Just a thought...I would think the any gas powered engine would be able to keep the engine oil a little cleaner than a diesel granted the tech that is involved in the marine gas engines today????

Last edited by Anger Management; 11-25-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Anger Management
Minxguy, I do agree that black is subjective, but how would you explain my diesel truck oil staying clean to the finger test after five thousand miles verses a boat engine running just a few hours. My diesel truck averages about 100hrs of run time to 3000 miles of use. I would think that a diesel oil would be containing a lot more soot and junk than a gas powered 496? Just a thought...I would think the any gas powered engine would be able to keep the engine oil a little cleaner than a diesel granted the tech that is involved in the marine gas engines today????
wrongo...

gas engines comtaminate oil with fuel much more quickly!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't say "black"

I used the phrase "rapid discoloration" to leave open the subjective (as to what is "black") thinking.

It seems to fall out of the "golden appearance" on the stick pretty damn quick though!

no consumption here either at ~40 hour change intervals.

I went to M1 200 hours ago, at least 5 changes now. So I don't buy the "residuals" effect
Old 11-25-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by minxguy
Yes I have read them and according to the reports there is no fuel dilution or buildup of solids, I feel that this may shoot down the idea of blow by.
I do not like the way this lab presents the numbers, espcially when it comes to viscosity. They use phrases like "should be" and "universal average something".
I personally don't care how my oil checks out to an average of everybody elses oil. I want to know what my oil is doing and if I have had more than one test done by this lab I would guess I would then get a history on my engine.
What I did notice about the oil reports was that on page 2 the sample in the right hand column (dated 3/31/07) the use oil viscosity (68.6) was BELOW the lower specification for a 40 weight oil at 210,and this was with 10 hours on it. Not good, the oil has fallen out of grade. The SAE says to be a 40 weight the SUS for the grade is 70-85. You ended up with a real stong 30.
This could be caused by fuel dilution, but the report does not suggest fuel dilution. I am guessing that the oil was a marginal 40 when new and has polymer shear in 10 hours of use.
Ray is correct, you should do an oil analysis on your new oil so you now have a base line to compare your used oil to. I don't think that you want to compare to a whole bunch of test results that make up an "average".
While I also came to the same conclusion that the light ends are burning off causing oil smells I find it hard to belive.
What I am going to look into is that the oil is turning black quickly because of the additive package or a particular componet in the package.
Also the word black is subjective. A down and dirty test for "dirty" oil is to stick you finger in the waste oil, if you can see your fingerprints the oil isn't dirty. If your finger looks like it was dipped in black paint, you aren't changing your oil soon enough.
Ken
thanks for you post. it's informative for sure but i have listed oils used. first was the merc branded 25/40 and then switched to Royal Purple 20/50. I've changed it 3 times since the last lab sample date and it's dark as night right now...
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Registered

i'll go with black being subjective but i think probably all of you guys would agree on the idea that most cars and trucks you've owned in the last decade or two would still have the oil stay dark yellow to golden for quite a while. this is the color that you can "see through" when looking at the stick.

mine isn't even dark. it sucks. it's jet black as if it was in a diesel engine for say 7 - 8 thousand miles. it looks like the oil that comes out of the over-the-road caterpillars on semi trucks at hawthorne cat in SD.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM
Registered

I would like to know if other OSO members or friends of OSO members with different engine than the 496 ie: 525,600sci...ect... are dealing with the "darker oil" issue, or is this something that is just appearing on the 496 engines?

I do like the idea of using a clean baseline for the oil analysis test when the engine oil is new, and then compare it with the engine oil after a few hours of running the boat. I think this might tell alot with what is going on inside the engine.

I also think that the egines are setup to run a little too much on the rich side at idle, or slightly off idle?? But, I don't know this as a fact...just a thought.

Any thoughts are welcome.....
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

We have a 1996 502 MPI Magnum in a Donzi Black Hawk that has always had black oil within a couple of hours after an oil change. I was never really concerned about it because it has happened from new and we run the boat very hard. We added a boat with 496S’s to our fleet a couple of years ago, same thing (not sure about the time that it takes to turn black, but it sure is black at the change interval and the engines are in a cruiser that I absolutely baby). I always assumed that it was the nature of a BBC, now I am worried!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After noodling around, if the additive package is a severe diesel package,(one for trucks vs cars) they have a tendency to turn (lets use darker) faster then a gasoline additive package.
It also has to do with sump capacity, the more oil the slower the color change.
If the oil analysis checks out ok form the wear side and additive side I wouldn't worry. What would bother me is the falling out of grade with only 10 hours on the oil.
Ken
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Anger Management
Yes,I did read all the attachments you posted on 15 and 16...very interesting.
How much are they chagring for each analyisis?
sorry, i just noticed that i missed your question -

they're 20 bucks each and they asked for another sample from what would be next time. i don't like their reports either and am going to use the caterpillar dealer next time. i'll also provide a clean sample for baseline as many have indicated this would be more informative. i agree. i missed out first couple times. the cat lab should be way better in terms of usable info. i've glanced at their reports a couple years ago but forgot about them offering this service. i'll try to post later if the thread isn't dead.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
We have a 1996 502 MPI Magnum in a Donzi Black Hawk that has always had black oil within a couple of hours after an oil change. I was never really concerned about it because it has happened from new and we run the boat very hard. We added a boat with 496S’s to our fleet a couple of years ago, same thing (not sure about the time that it takes to turn black, but it sure is black at the change interval and the engines are in a cruiser that I absolutely baby). I always assumed that it was the nature of a BBC, now I am worried!!!!
I have the same 502 package in my Scarab. I switched to Mobil 1 5-50 after the first year. The oil has been changed every 45-50 hours since new and after I went to Mobil 1 it stays golden all the way thru the oil change interval. I just changed it last weekend to winterize and sure enough it was darker(as always) but I could still see thru it and it was a dark golden color. The 502 has 574 hours on it.

Quick Reply: Jet Black 496ho Oil.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.