up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost

Notices

up grading the 500 EFI....to run 8 lbs boost

Old 12-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Bryan,
I agree with Bill. Personally, I find it much easier to stomach 10K at a time over 2 years rather than 20K at once. Ultimately, it's your decision and I will be glad to work with you any way I can. I look forward to talking to you soon, Eddie.

I also agree with Dustin in that you should keep the compression up. I have found that both the Whipples and the centrifugals like the compression. I build every supercharged engine that is using a centrifigal or a Whipple at 8.9:1 and higher. I have been as high as 10.2:1 with 5-6# boost. I won't say what the best compression that I have found is, but it is higher than most would think. You have to throw out the roots mentality of low compression and a big, slow blower. That may work great for a roots motor, but the Whipple and the centrifigal like to spin with some more compression. This is what works for me. No, it's not the only way to do it, but I have found it to be the best.
Eddie
Ouch, I guess it is too late for me to get one of those 2 stage deals! Oh well, I guess that it all happens in one big step.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess the question still outstanding is when does 8 lbs of boost put the compression ratio at an unacceptable number.
Seems if you start at 7.5 cr, at 8 lbs boost and 5500 rpm+., you'd be better off than starting with 8.5 cr. Anyone got some nice charts to look at showing how boost / rpms affect CR?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, yours is in a thousand pieces so I would say it's a little to late. It will all be worth it in the long run. It's great if you can afford to do it all at once. I just find it easier to stomach and certainly easier to hide a little at a time. I'm good either way you want to do it.
Eddie.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Yeah, yours is in a thousand pieces so I would say it's a little to late. It will all be worth it in the long run. It's great if you can afford to do it all at once. I just find it easier to stomach and certainly easier to hide a little at a time. I'm good either way you want to do it.
Eddie.

Oh I am definately up for the get it all done plan. Once I saw all the pieces in your shop I knew the point of no return had been broached. I have been sitting back waiting to see how much Brian was going to do before pulling the final trigger. Can't be outdone. It is time for the let's get all finalized stage. I will give you a shout tomorrow.

Bill
Old 12-06-2007, 04:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab28
Guess the question still outstanding is when does 8 lbs of boost put the compression ratio at an unacceptable number.
Seems if you start at 7.5 cr, at 8 lbs boost and 5500 rpm+., you'd be better off than starting with 8.5 cr. Anyone got some nice charts to look at showing how boost / rpms affect CR?
I have never pushed a Procharger to its max so I'm not sure exactly what you can get away with. I have found that they are very simimlar to Whipples in that they like compression. Like I said before, I don't build a Whipple motor under 8.9:1 compression. At that compression, you can run 10# of boost with some very good tuning. However, you have to be on your game with the tune. I don't agree that you would be better of with 7.5 compression. You have to disregard what works with a roots. It doesn't apply here. Hope this helps, Eddie.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi
Oh I am definately up for the get it all done plan. Once I saw all the pieces in your shop I knew the point of no return had been broached. I have been sitting back waiting to see how much Brian was going to do before pulling the final trigger. Can't be outdone. It is time for the let's get all finalized stage. I will give you a shout tomorrow.

Bill
I've been ready. You just say the word. I'll talk to you soon, Eddie.