Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Boats:
    Boatless and Moving to South Florida

How long is stabilized Gasoline good for?

Just got my engines back and installed. I have been down since August 2006, Aprox 1/2 tank of fuel ..used the correct amount of STABIL ... HOW LONG IS THE FUEL STILL GOOD? should I mix Fresh gas with the old this spring ?.. the boat is ALWAYS stored inside rack stored.. aprox 75-100 ga. in a 200 gal. tank...

Platinum Member Platinum Member mike tkach's Avatar
    My Boats:
    31 american offshore,38 fountain fever

stable

it is good for 2 years.fill tank up with fresh gas prior to first run of season

Registered
    I couldn't get 2 year old fuel to run well in my weed whacker.
    Forget about the octane rating after a year. If you're motors are supercharged or high compression you might ant to consider getting rid of all of it.

My Boats:
    Boatless and Moving to South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoactive View Post
    I couldn't get 2 year old fuel to run well in my weed whacker.
    Forget about the octane rating after a year. If you're motors are supercharged or high compression you might ant to consider getting rid of all of it.
    yes but did you treat your fuel ?

Registered
    Yep,
    Stabilizer seems to do a good job at preventing carbs from gumming up. But I dont think it's that great at maintaining octane ratings, preventing fuel breakdown, oxidation, contamination, etc.... what ever happens to old gas.
    Just my $0.02
    Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarab3DMC View Post
    yes but did you treat your fuel ?

Quote Originally Posted by rdoactive View Post
    Yep,
    Stabilizer seems to do a good job at preventing carbs from gumming up. But I dont think it's that great at maintaining octane ratings, preventing fuel breakdown, oxidation, contamination, etc.... what ever happens to old gas.
    Just my $0.02
    Gary

You're absolutely right. Pump it onto your car, truck or whatever. Gas is cheap. Motors aren't. Neither are chasing phantom problems and on-water breakdowns.

Charter Member # 55 Charter Member Griff's Avatar
    My Boats:
    ............................... 32 Active Thunder
    I believe the sta-bil bottle says one year. It does not keep fuel from losing octane. I wouldn't chance it and would pump the old fuel out and put it into cars.

Fuel won't lose octane in a metal tank. The additives that adjust octane and other properties in the gasoline are highly aromatic and will go right through plastic. Got that straight from one of VP's engineers. Gas will last forever in a full, sealed metal container. It's contact with the atmosphere that causes the chemical changes.

Registered
    My Boats:
    2006 Larson Senza 206
    question: how come it wont run right in a boat, but a car will have no problem burning it?

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    question: how come it wont run right in a boat, but a car will have no problem burning it?

Less compression in the average car engine plus an engine management system to accommodate for lesser fuels.

You can usually tell if the fuel has "gone bad" by the way it smells & looks. If it seems odd in any way, you're best off not to even put it into a car. Now you have the problem of what to do with maybe 100 gallons of funky gas. That's a big bonfire.

If you can get it into drums, a used oil hauler will take it at no charge. Most likely an oil change shop will too. They can mix it in with their stock tanks and burn it in their used-oil heater or let their pumper take it. Safety Klean will suck it out for you but they'll charge you- not a ton though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast