Engine Alarm... Any ideas???

Notices

Engine Alarm... Any ideas???

Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Alarm... Any ideas???

Hello.

This just started happening. I have a 1990 Scarab w/ 454 mags stock (except for closed cooling). I start port up, runs fine for about 60 secs, alarm fires... I turn off, restart, and then runs fine, or if I just let it run... the alarm goes off and again runs fine.

My temp/oil pressure is fine and verified water out of the exhaust since it's on;y 1 1/2 system.

Any ideas???

THANK YOU!
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The alarm can only be set off by high water temp, low oil pressure or low drive lube. You probably have a sensor going bad. To tell which one it is, you just have to unplug each sensor one at a time.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Registered

Thank You For The Response... Ok, So I Know The 2 Sensors On Top Of The Motor For The Water Temp, But Where Can I Find The One (s) For The Low Oil Or Drive Lube???

As Far As The Drive Lube, I Have About 1/4 In Each Reservior. Is That Enough???

Thank You So Much For Your Help... New To This!
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shotjock
Thank You For The Response... Ok, So I Know The 2 Sensors On Top Of The Motor For The Water Temp, But Where Can I Find The One (s) For The Low Oil Or Drive Lube???

the drive lube sensors should be mounted on the reserviors ..at the bottom ... as stated unplug the sensor and the alarm should stop ....if its that sensor ..... the low oil pressure sensor is mounted on the block above where the block filter pad is ... a ***** to get to ... should be a tan with Blue stripe wire going to it ..the tan/bl wire is the same for the water temp and oil pressure alarms ...most of those had a bullet type connector up closer to the engine harness plug .....

Last edited by offthefront; 12-06-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

1/4 in drive oil resevoir tanks may be the problem. I know mine are required to be about 3/4 full. Make sure you check this out further.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Registered

Hello.

This just started happening. I have a 1990 Scarab w/ 454 mags stock (except for closed cooling). I start port up, runs fine for about 60 secs, alarm fires... I turn off, restart, and then runs fine, or if I just let it run... the alarm goes off and again runs fine.

My temp/oil pressure is fine and verified water out of the exhaust since it's on;y 1 1/2 system.

Any ideas???

THANK YOU!

Get a buddy with a scan tool or take it to someone who can tell you what the code is before you get into a serious guessing game etc. 60 seconds is way too long for the drive lube bottle sensor to do it's thing... if the lube was the issue, it would go off within 10 seconds or usually even less. if you drain the outdrive just enough to empty the bottle (but still leaving the drive full) you will get another series of beeps much faster than what you're hearing right now. the cheapest, easiest way to fix it is to first know what the code is and then troubleshoot on your own if you dont' want to pay someone to continue with it. even if the code isn't what's causing the issue, it will send you in other directions and on and on.

good luck!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If these are carbed motors (1990), might have trouble plugging in a scan tool.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
If these are carbed motors (1990), might have trouble plugging in a scan tool.
agreed - that could prove to be tough. without knowing for sure, it made sense to assume the old mpi's simply because he says it takes a full 60 seconds to act up and it implies that the 60 seconds is consistent.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like already stated, fill the drive lube bottles to 3/4 and start with the oil pressure alam sender on the port side of the motor, then water temp alarm and then the drive bottle. You can do in any order just unplug the sender one at a time and re-start the engine. Does it do it everytime you start it or just the very first time of the day?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Registered

Hey, Wanted To Thank You Guys,,, I Did Fill The Drive Reserviors Up And It Stopped And That Scan Tool Sound Like A Great Thing The Next Time The Alarm Goes Off...

Thanks Again!!!