Whipple swap >

Whipple swap

Notices

Whipple swap

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple swap

Trying to find out if I can modify the intercooler flange and front plate of a side mount 2.3 to exept a 3.3.
Not enough cfm out of the 2.3 but would like to keep the side mout stlye. It looks like the 3.3 is 1.3inches longer housing wise but shoud be little trouble to move back on intercooler.
Anybody tried this?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you just run a smller pully on you current set up? Maybe change the crank pulley to a bigger one if the blower pulley is already small.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

I was turning over the rpm limit with their 2.75 pulley and could barely get 4psi. at 5400rpm.
I think it was just to small for a 540. It finally lost a bearing and shelled the rotors and the housing.
Could replace head unit with a new 2.3 but if I can mount a 3.3 ?
Old 12-28-2007, 06:45 AM
Registered

So your running a 504 ci on an old MPI intake. I'd try an e-mail Whipple and ask him. Don't call, you won't get him, e-mail is the only way. Unless he jumps in on this thread.

Maybe keep an eye out for a used 3.3 system you can buy and convert. There was a 3.3 carb system on E bay a few months ago.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

I have a complete 2.3 system I'm taking off. If interested PM me or e mail me @ jlborba@yahoo. Also, If your spinning the whipple that fast, then you should have gotten way more boost than that.. I added an extra OIL line and nozzle to help keep the whipple cool. I also have a few pulleys and belts that will go with it....

Let me know...

Jeff
Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Registered

Here is the kit on E bay that may work for you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Whipp...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Registered

Ebay is a stage 1 and still haves a small intercooler.

I have a 2000 cfm holley throttle body on my side mounted whipple 540 and makes 7 pounds of boost with a 3" pulley (dynoed at 820 hp). You have to make sure you do not restrict the air flow going into the supercharger as this heats up the air and can lead to detonation. Also a bigger throttle body helps promote more airflow for the motor to produce more boost. You should also run an oil line from the block onto the top of the blower gears using a .040 to .060 orfice and draining into the vlave cover. This will keep your blower happy and cool.... I can email you some photos of the set up if needed. I also have a lot of spare parts if needed. PM me
Good look

Last edited by VegasHallett; 12-28-2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies
This is one of the old ones, it was on the boat when I bought it in 02. After taking the mains out of the orginal 454 I built this 540 using the 088 heads with a modified lower MPI intake. Running the crane 731 roller cam and E tops all this did was to make heat.
It now becomes clear that using the stock throittle body and whipples highly restrictive flame arrester it could not get enough air.
As far as the folks at whipple I have talked to Dustin several times and they have checked and reprogramed my ECM three times but even they can't fix stupid.
Cool site for a low budget hotrod guy.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by VegasHallett
Ebay is a stage 1 and still haves a small intercooler.

I have a 2000 cfm holley throttle body on my side mounted whipple 540 and makes 7 pounds of boost with a 3" pulley (dynoed at 820 hp). You have to make sure you do not restrict the air flow going into the supercharger as this heats up the air and can lead to detonation. Also a bigger throttle body helps promote more airflow for the motor to produce more boost. You should also run an oil line from the block onto the top of the blower gears using a .040 to .060 orfice and draining into the vlave cover. This will keep your blower happy and cool.... I can email you some photos of the set up if needed. I also have a lot of spare parts if needed. PM me
Good look
Hey buddy, finally getting the dough scratched up to think about doing my 502's like yours. I was trying to go back onto Hotboat to get all the info of what you did and what shop did the work. Guess what.....HOT BOAT died....they'll be back next month but who knows if your posts will be there or not. I would appreciate it if you could send me the info of what you had done, the shop's info and some of your pictures if possible. Just email me - [email protected]

Thanks again man, have a great New Years!!!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

Can anyone tell me what the size is of the intercooler core for the stage two units?
My core is 2 inches thick by 7 wide by 10 long. It has never seemed to take much heat out of the intake air, even swaped the through bot. of hull intake to being run off of raw water pump with 25psi.

Quick Reply: Whipple swap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.