Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OK, What's the Consensus On Antifreeze...in or out? >

OK, What's the Consensus On Antifreeze...in or out?

Notices

OK, What's the Consensus On Antifreeze...in or out?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OK, What's the Consensus On Antifreeze...in or out?

Finally got around to fogging and pumping the engines full of antifreeze today. I have always left the antifreeze in the motor over the winter. I figure the anti corrosive properties will be helpful to leave in the engine. But there seems to be two schools of thought on this. Some say to drain it in case there is a remaining pocket of water. Also, these are the first motors I have owned with CMI's. 525 EFI's. Not sure what is recommended with those.

I pumped 4 1/2 gallons into the raw water system on each motor. And the boat stays indoors in dry storage.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert but I always have them put anti freeze in mine...
Old 12-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Registered

mine is full
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you want to drain the exhaust in case a gasket leaks it will not leak into the motor and rust all winter long. Other then that the block thing you can argue both ways I guess....
Old 12-28-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Have always drained all the water out when hot, then put plugs back in and filled with anti-freeze, the good old fashioned green stuff. Drain it out in the spring into the bilge, thru the hull drain into a bucket, run it thru a paint strainer, save for the next year. Far better than leaving the cast iron block to rust up over the winter. Also run thru the coolers, exhaust, and the pick up hose out thru the drive as well. Always sleep well when we get those nights up here that it dips to -30 degrees or below.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 12-28-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Being we're in the moderate mid-Atlantic climate on the water with no sustained periods of sub-zero temps (global warming freaks aside) whichever will be fine I think. After all we're not Michigan, Minnesota, or Massachusetts(sp?). I did mine only for the "hopefully" non-corrosive theory.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run anti-freeze thru mine after draining the water out.
I like the anti-corrosive properties and the lubricating ability of
anti-freeze for my seals and impellers.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the blocks are already full of antifreeze because these motors are close loop cooled.

I'm mostly concerned about leaving it in the headers given all the interesting posting over the summer on the 525 CMI's .

Anyone?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Have always drained all the water out when hot, then put plugs back in and filled with anti-freeze, the good old fashioned green stuff. Drain it out in the spring into the bilge, thru the hull drain into a bucket, run it thru a paint strainer, save for the next year. Far better than leaving the cast iron block to rust up over the winter. Also run thru the coolers, exhaust, and the pick up hose out thru the drive as well. Always sleep well when we get those nights up here that it dips to -30 degrees or below.
how many times can you strain it before its no good? or does it just never go bad. might be a dumb question...
Old 12-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

I leave the anti-freeze in mine. I run the pink stuff, so I don't have to flush before the first dunk in the spring....... Is it spring yet????? My .02 worth!

Quick Reply: OK, What's the Consensus On Antifreeze...in or out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.