Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Expensive Rev limiters 454 mags??? >

Expensive Rev limiters 454 mags???

Notices

Expensive Rev limiters 454 mags???

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expensive Rev limiters 454 mags???

Hello. I have a 90 scarab 31 excel and seems to not have rev limiters... How important are they? These ignition modules with the 6 spark seem expensive (can get for about $250) don't even come with the 5,000 chip that I would need. Ho wmuch do these chips even run??? Any suggestions on where to or if I should even get these?

I am a new boater in FL so I don't do a lot of racing, but the boat will jump out of the water sometimes if I am trying to accelerate...

Thanks!

Frank
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rev limiters are no substitute for operating skill. Even with limiters, if you're getting thousand RPM spikes, you're going to break things- probably starting with your outdrives.

Your best bet is to avoid breaking the prop loose and on the occasions that you do, being careful to time your throttle close/open with your re-entry. The only thing harder than an over-rev is closed-throttle landings. It's hitting a brick wall for your driveline.

My guess is your boat has the basic, stock hardware. These are mild-performance components and dramatically different (lighter-duty) that what you would find in a high-end performance boat or raceboat. Even in these top-level boats, parts breakage is a way of life- an expensive way of life. Drag-race holeshots and jumping can shorten hardware lifespans significantly. That's not to mention your hull structure.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Geez Frank, you don't need rev limiters, we just need to teach you how to drive! Not that I'm a pro or anything...

I know Peanut Island is coming up, and I'm just about finished with my maintenance. Hopefully this weekend will be warm enough so I can clean it real good. But let me know if you want to just drop yours in the water for an hour or so. I can bring a couple sets of props to play with also.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the response!

Chris, I have admired your posts and your best scene from collateral since I started boating a few months ago. Actually, i had no idea.. I have been doing that, if I'm cruising and jumping out of the water and see the rpms spike, I back it off so she doesn't redline, but didn't think of that brick wall thing... Thanks!

Micheal... glad to hear you're still alive... and even happier you will go to Peanut LOL!!! If you are available sometime on Sunday, please let me know... I would love to "road test" some props for next weekend and maybe you can show me some perormance stuff (safe performance stuff for the boat)

THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. Glad to have you around.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

your more than welcome to borrow my wife anytime ...she'll keep the revs down .....