Volvo DPX Drive Indicator >

Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Notices

Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the exploded parts view of the transom assembly. If you hold the plastic plunger, you can use a socket to remove the lock nut. The plastic plunger is threaded onto the cable (this is for adjusting your trim display), and should simply unscrew from the cable. be careful - there is a spring behind the plunger. Once the plunger and spring are out, you should be able to slide the cable out the back, but you may have to have someone inside the boat, pushing the cable into the shield tube. If you're lucky, the proble will be buildup on the spring and plunger, but in many cases, it's the cable the goes bad. Disconnect the cable at the front end as well, and make sure that it slides freely. If not, you'll need to replace it. That can be done without removing the engine if you're careful. You may have to undo any clamps that hold the shield tube and manuever it so that the angle where it enters the transom shield is as straight as possible.

Good luck.

PS - Make sure the dash display isn't the problem!

DougRussell.com is a good source for parts.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a Volvo dealer and can supply you with any part that is available.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Trim Indicator

I was at my boat today and figured out that the black plunger is severely stuck inside the silver tubeit would not budge at all. I actually snapped the tip of the black plunger that was protruding through the end of the tube. When the plastic snapped off, the cable slid freely in and out. Anyway, I fugured I either have to cut the tube to get the remainder of the plunger out and replace both or use some kind of thin pick like an ice pick to chisel the rest out. Any ideas what would work best? Like I said, the cable seems fine and moves freely now. And yup, the spring is popping out now also.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indicator

Originally Posted by douglas e stevens
Thanks for the explanation but I am not sure I understand it. I have removed the zinc and also a small strike plate that are around the cable "bullet". Those things do not have anything to do with holding the cable in or supporting the bullet. The bullet itself has a flatened area that a wrench will fit over to loosen the bullet. Are you saying all I actually have to do is pull on the cable that extends through the bullet and it should slide out? I have tried gripping it with vise grips and pulling but I have not budged it. If that is all it takes I'll put something on it and secure it to my car and yank it out that way! ANy help is GREATLY appreciated. I have tinkered with this problem at the beginning of 2 boating seasons now and want to try again this Spring.
the bullet has a notch and screws out of the drive but first the smaller insert comes out once you remove cable screw. its spring loaded.