Volvo DPX Drive Indicator >

Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Notices

Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Old 01-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

I have an Armada B-28 with a Volvo DPX drive. Since I have had the boat (purchased it used) the drive indicator has been stuck. Anyone know how to remove the indicator cable and bullet that is on the transom outdrive assembly through which the cable moves? It seems there may be a nut on the inside of the transom? If that is the case, I can't get at it without removing the entire motor! Anyone help with this?
Old 01-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been a while since I did one, I should be close though. under the drive where the anode is has two screws holding the anode on. remove those and pull out the tube and indicator . this should allow you to remove the clip and cable end. the hose inside the boat does not need to be removed. You most likely need a new indicator cable. Use a new volvo exact cable, or morse supreme. good luck, Jim
Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered

Default Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Thanks for the explanation but I am not sure I understand it. I have removed the zinc and also a small strike plate that are around the cable "bullet". Those things do not have anything to do with holding the cable in or supporting the bullet. The bullet itself has a flatened area that a wrench will fit over to loosen the bullet. Are you saying all I actually have to do is pull on the cable that extends through the bullet and it should slide out? I have tried gripping it with vise grips and pulling but I have not budged it. If that is all it takes I'll put something on it and secure it to my car and yank it out that way! ANy help is GREATLY appreciated. I have tinkered with this problem at the beginning of 2 boating seasons now and want to try again this Spring.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Registered

the tube, (possibly what you are calling the bullet) must be removed. It is held in place by the striker plate. the tube has a groove in it that the plate sets into. the tube is sealed into the transom shiled with an o-ring. on the inside end of the tube you should find the clip which holds the outside of the cable. I do not recommend hooking it to your truck. I have done this in the past and was a very easy operation.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Registered

Default Volvo DPX Drive Indicator...again

What I am calling a "bullet" is a cylindrical shaped aluminum piece about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. The cable protrudes through the end of this cylinder with the zinc and the strike limit plate mounted above the bullet with two screws. The cyindrical shaped bullet has a flattened surface near where it butts the transom shield and when I turn it with a wrench, it loosens up but I thing there is a nut of some sort on the other side inside the bilge? It definitley seems to me that this bullet cylinder has to be removed first. When you say a clip is on the inside end of the tube, do you mean inside the bilge? This thing is driving me nutty.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Registered

The nut inside is the end of the hose. Do not remove this. Everything is done from the outside untill you have to pull a new cable. When you remove the anode and strike plate, the tube with the flat on it can be removed by simply pulling it out. (it may be corroded in a little.) when you remove the tube (which is not screwed in) you will be able to service it easily. Stop over thinking it. this is a simple procedure FROM OUTSIDE THE BOAT ONLY. hope this helps.
JIM
Old 01-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info Jim. I am not going to be at the boat for another couple of weeks. So what I think you are saying is that I have to twist and pull that cylinder out (what you called the tube with the flat on it) and it has an o-ring to seal it in the transom assembly? I have a parts diagram that shows that. As long as it doesn't have something like a nut threaded onto it on the bilge side of the transom. Sounds easy if that is how it comes out. I'll let you know if it works and thank you for saving me from another season of a disabled drive trim indicator!
doug
Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Registered

good luck
Old 02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Registered

Default Volvo Trim Indicator...Almost there!

Hey Jim,
I was at my boat this morning doing some stuff and got around to pulling the trim indicator tube out of the transom assembly. There is a small threaded rod that is at the aft end of the tube with a nut on it that was always exposed(it contacts the outdrive). Does that small nut have to be removed? On the other end of the tube that I pulled out is the cable sheath(?). I didn't have much time to examine it too closely but it is rusty. Is there now just a clip to remove (under that rust)? Then what comes off, the tube?
I also discovered I am missing a clevis pin that attaches the port trim cylinder shaft to the outdrive....glad I noticed that.
doug
Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

the threaded rod should be the end of the cable. 10-32 thread

Quick Reply: Volvo DPX Drive Indicator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.