GPS speedometer antenna options >

GPS speedometer antenna options

Notices

GPS speedometer antenna options

Old 01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS speedometer antenna options

I have a AutoMeter GPS speed and I was looking to find a handheld GPS to use for the antenna any ideas of what might work?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 927 Likes on 466 Posts

most any hand held that you can configure to have an NMEA output and the appropriate cable to hook it up with "should" work.....i can get my Nextel cell phone to work with a GPS Speedo

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a garmin 72 gps and an old nextel !! Show us how !!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I've used my Garmin 12XL and currently use a Garmin 76 for my Lavorsi GPS speedo. Two wires between the units and set the handheld for NEMA output.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input !! I just ordered the data/power output cable from Tiger GPS for $21. That savings is going to pay my OSO subscription for years to come !!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
I have a garmin 72 gps and an old nextel !! Show us how !!
On my Nextel (I560) when you get to the GPS section in the menu there are 3 options....Position/privacy/ and interface.....when you hit interface you get NEMA OUT on/off....turn it on and you will need a serial data cable for the phone. I had an extra one Nextel sent me with an old phone for some software upgrade.....i cut the cable end off and found the pinouts online....then just hooked the NEMA output of the phone to the GPS and hooked the other wires (batt/ground/ign) as needed for the Speedo headunit and she worked like a charm

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
On my Nextel (I560) when you get to the GPS section in the menu there are 3 options....Position/privacy/ and interface.....when you hit interface you get NEMA OUT on/off....turn it on and you will need a serial data cable for the phone. I had an extra one Nextel sent me with an old phone for some software upgrade.....i cut the cable end off and found the pinouts online....then just hooked the NEMA output of the phone to the GPS and hooked the other wires (batt/ground/ign) as needed for the Speedo headunit and she worked like a charm
Where did you find the "pinouts online"? I cant find them and to make matters worse I work for Sprint!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

LOL! I used to work for MOtorola and i had problems as well finding things when customers called with R&D Problems! Letmme check to see where i have them...hopeflly i didnt throw it away....i have the cable, so worse case i can get it and hook up a DVM to it...

Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

here try this: http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N...0_pinout.shtml

many of the older Nextels use the same serial data connectors....oh and be careful...i found out that some of the newer Moto phone have a different serial cable now...i know the i930 takes a special cable that has a toggle switch on it to switch from data to flashing now...dont know how that one would be configured to work on a setup like this hope that helps ya

Old 02-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
here try this: http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N...0_pinout.shtml

many of the older Nextels use the same serial data connectors....oh and be careful...i found out that some of the newer Moto phone have a different serial cable now...i know the i930 takes a special cable that has a toggle switch on it to switch from data to flashing now...dont know how that one would be configured to work on a setup like this hope that helps ya
Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: GPS speedometer antenna options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.