Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers? >

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Notices

How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install a vac. pump. You will be bolting on 35-40 Horsepower and keep the engine sealed! I run them all the time on pleasure boat applications.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mrhp1, what make pump and do you have a pic or 2 to show how you did it. thanks chuck
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered

Yeah, MrHP1, perhaps you cna show us which part goes where? I've attached a spec for reference...
Attached Images  
Old 02-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Install a vac. pump. You will be bolting on 35-40 Horsepower and keep the engine sealed! I run them all the time on pleasure boat applications.

Yes, that is an interesting idea. A few pictures would be great. Although I dont know how or where I can mount the pump, especially with the serp belt that I run.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by nocigarette
Are the breather holes threaded in your valve covers if so you can use aeroquipp fittings to get to what ya need i will find a pick for ya.........If they are not ya have to weld a threaded fitting from the back side......
Yes, they are threaded. From information on Hardin Marines site, it seems that they are threaded to -20 an. I am thinking about getting 2 oil fill plugs from Hardin, then just drilling and tapping whatever size pipe thread I need into the plug. Summit has Moroso puke tanks that may work well.

Dick,
Yeah, I will keep you posted. Did you get the barn plowed out and the engine out today?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a vacuum pump and it is great for oil blow-by control. I don't agreed with the 30+ hp in a wet sump marine application. My dyno experience with standard tension oil rings @ 15" of vacuum is less than 10 HP. Any more vacuum than 15" caused my oil pressure to fluctuate on the dyno...VP fighting the oil pump.
For absolute blow by control on a wet sump system, all you need is any negative pressure. To rig this VP system right, figure on a $1500+ project.
You can use one VP on twin BB....works great.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered

Why not just run some hoses to the flame arrester??
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Having the same problem with my 454's wet sump system.I have the old school alum valve covers with the ribs on top and push in breathers. 1 on each side. After a day running I will have oil in the ribs of covers. I thought that if I plumbed this to the air cleaner it would foul my carb. Am I right ? Plus really liked the clean look of nothing going flame arrester. I can't see spending 1500 to keep me from wiping alittle oil but interested in any other ideas.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Registered

a complete vcumm pump kit can be had for 750 bucks v belt im going to run this comming season on my 598 it looks pretty clear on the set up .
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
Why not just run some hoses to the flame arrester??
Yeah, that seems to work, but I dont like the fact that it pumps more hot air and possibly a bit of oil to the intake. Theres enough horsepower robbing hot air in there, dont want to pump any more into it.

Quick Reply: How to prevent oil from pushing through breathers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.